Ideologically, would Dominicans be open to a multi-country site?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Let's suppose there's a site for the DR and another country. Like mercadolibre, the site, in its initial page, will ask the visitor what country he wishes to enter. Although there's only one domain, there will be two separate databases. In other words, the only relation between both sites is the domain name.

Although this is easily achievable technically, would Dominicans be open to a site for DR and another country?

It may sound racist, but many Dominicans aren't fond of Haitians, to put nicely. So I'm almost certain that they would probably frown upon a site that deals with both Haiti and DR.

Would this be the case with another country? Maybe the US, Canada, or even Puerto Rico?

The reason I ask is because I purchased a .com.do just for Dominican visitors (even when I already own the .com). The reason is that I'm not sure how Dominicans will react when they see that our site (the .com) not only deals with Dominicans, but will also deal with Florida, and even Puerto Rico.

Thanks.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think you are overthinking this man. The core questions are: a. will they have enough money to buy what you are selling? and b. is your products status conscious enough to get them to want to buy it?....and then brag to others about what they have. Who cares what other countries they like? Tell them all this stuff is right off of Ocean Drive in Miami Beach and it will sell.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think it might even give it more credibility, but of course this depends on the type of product/service and the target market involved.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think you will have a problem if you are also marketing to Florida and Puerto Rico.

But Haiti is definitely out. and why in the world would you even want to market to Haiti?

But as others have said, what you offer on your website and the related details are what matters most.

Are you contemplating a Spanish website, English website, or bilingual?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I really can't imagine anyone going online and deciding not to do business with a company simply because its website has selections for other/various countries. I use a lot of international sites and it would never occur to me to leave a site because there are links to locations in other countries. I agree that you might be over-thinking this one.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Country doesn't matter. Language does. For Hispaniola, Spanish, English and French/Creole would be all you need. There are translation widgets available that while are not as good as separate custom translation pages do an adequate job.

And if your business is for folks just in the DR-I assume a retail site would be since international shipping charges are absurdly expensive-a .do or .com.do domain is fine