Information on Propane fueled Generators needed

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
I am interested in buying a generator powered by propane. Does anyone have any info on where there are sold, in Puerto Plata or Santiago preferably.
Also, any knowledge about generators of this type will be much appreciated.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I am interested in buying a generator powered by propane. Does anyone have any info on where there are sold, in Puerto Plata or Santiago preferably.
Also, any knowledge about generators of this type will be much appreciated.

was in price smart in SD other day and they had a beauty,10,000 w.,I think it was around ?????Forgot how much,but was very reasonable,made to put outside,with a nice plastic,or some material,cover....
bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
was in price smart in SD other day and they had a beauty,10,000 w.,I think it was around ?????Forgot how much,but was very reasonable,made to put outside,with a nice plastic,or some material,cover....
bob

People run Gas, Diesel and/or Propane generators inside :confused: ?

Does someone have a death wish?

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
bob

Thanks for responding, JB. I'm going to see if the Santiago store cares it. It may well be the Briggs & Stratton model that I found on the web. if so, it's a 10KW unit that produces about 72 decibels at the measured distance, and is quite compact: approximately 2 ft by 3ft by 4 ft. It's web price is about $2300, with another $400 for an automatic switch. My only problem with it is that I don't have a good place to put it on my small property, as it needs about a 3 to 5 ft clearance around. However, I did find another, indoor unit (yes, I said 'indoor' unit) for about the same price. This one could be placed in my casita, replacing my current 5.5 unit, which just died.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My friend has a propane generator and has had problems.

Based on what i know know from her.... compared to my own diesel... I would avoid propane

WW

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bill,
Thanks for the warning, but would you please be more specific on what her problems are?
Bob

I will ask her..... just too many breakdowns for my liking.
Our shared contractor agrees... he was sending me down that road until her experiences.

OK
WW

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
I have one. A 16Kw imported from the US. Keep in mind that the Aduana only charges itbis on generators so you might want to shop around online. Lots of good deals at the moment with free shipping.
I am building a house and using the genset 8-12 hours a day and it has been running great. You do get once in a while an up/down moment due to the quality of the propane but no a big deal.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I was wondering if anyone had any update on where to buy a good propane generator? Seems like Generac makes some decent ones. Thanks

May 8, 2009
Propane injection on diesel generator

I am curious to see if anyone else has been successful with injecting propane into their diesel generators.

Has anyone found anyone reputable around to do this sort of work? Are they installing criollo kits or foreign ones?

cc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
FWIW

I have never heard a "happy ending" to a propane generator purchase.

Problems, problems, problems.

Buying locally allows you to get service -- my diesel was just serviced at 800 hours.... totally looked after.

If I had the free shipping from MIA... I'm not sure what would have happened.
Local guys are good.

When they leave, the repair man gives his personal cell number for the next time.... in case i want to go 'freelance'

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm trying not to be biased here.... but my friends have thrown them away - propane generators.

My recent issue w/ my diesel was a chip card or something at 800 hours.... a starting problem
The good news was we bought it new in SD and they had the parts... fixed it and we're back in business.

Our house is solar.... we need to be able to hit those batteries when they need it (no sun, etc) so reliability is critical.

I have never fancied a diesel car/SUV before...... but I'm leaning that way b/c the technology is getting better.

Could be the same for Propane Plantas....