Patria Rivas Lab

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Since I don't many opportunities to have my blood drawn and tested, I've got little experience in labs here. Mostly I use Garcia and Garcia when the necessity arises.

We have the (dreadful) SEMMA insurance along with some top-notch, send us a receipt and we'll reimburse you insurance from the States. My son is having a circumcision in a few weeks and we needed to get the tests done - so I headed to SEMMA this morning to get it done and when we got there, they redirected us to Patria Rivas (I have horrid things to say about SEMMA but that's for another day).

We arrived at 9am and, no lie, they were on number 21. They had opened at 730 and had only processed 21 people? Insane. We had number 48. We were in for a long morning. And with a three year old who hadn't eaten yet.

The air conditioning was busted and there were not enough seats for the amount of people in there. Pregnant ladies were shooed away and told to wait their turn (unheard of in the DR) and kids were crying all over the place.

IT was by far the most unprofessional clinic I had ever set foot in. The secretary (office manager) was yelling at patients left and right and they had one person to type up basics data for the patients.

THe actual technician who drew the blood did a great job with a (miserable and scared) kid but beyond that it was a nightmare. I got home at 11:45.

I hope none of you ever have to use that lab for anything!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
From what I've heard Garcia and Garcia is well respected and on top of that economical. It's not in the best part of town nor the nicest looking but the people are courteous and relatively quick.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
chip - it's true garcia and garcia is great. i've never had a problem, but it was an insurance thing that sent me to patria riva. HORRIBLE.

garcia and garcia in santiago has "sucursales" in lots of places, including one close to you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Garcia and Garcia has a location on Estrella Sadhal? near KFC, next to the elevated.

I like Dr. Pedro Jorge Blanco's lab. He is located at a small strip mall located on Juan Pablo Duarte across from Plaza Bromelia, just down from the Palacio Municipal. Brand new.

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
chip - it's true garcia and garcia is great. i've never had a problem, but it was an insurance thing that sent me to patria riva. HORRIBLE.

garcia and garcia in santiago has "sucursales" in lots of places, including one close to you.
Too much commercials on the radio and health insurance taken, that might be the reason for this insane waiting list...

JJ

Patron

Mar 17, 2010
I had some blood work done at "garcia and garcia" near the baseball stadium in santiago. Wow!!! I was really impressed. Nice interior, very friendly people and I waited less that 5 minutes to be seen and they had the result ready the same day. Total cost was around 1,500 pesos