How to cook lambi?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
you can chop them up very fine and mix with diced onions, celery. greenpeppers, etc and mix with flour or cornmeal and make what we in the south call fritters. you can deep fry them, pan fry or bake like crab cakes. i like mine with hot sauce :)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I grind/finely chop it in a food processor, then saute it with finely chopped onions, green pepper, garlic, verdura/cilantro, a little salt/pepper/oregano, then add either a small can of tomato sauce or tomato paste and water. It's delicious over white rice.

AE

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My favourite lamb? dish is the one they make at Mes?n de Bari in Santo Domingo. The lamb? is minced to the texture of couscous and the seasoning they use is sublime.

Jul 4, 2010
The best lambi dish for the price you can get it at Playa Cocolandia (Sabana Grande de Palenque). Sit under one of the thatched umbrellas by the beach, and eventually a fat guy carrying two buckets will stroll by. He chops the lambi in front of your eyes, than he pours a home made creole sauce over the chunks, and asks you if you care for hot sauce. You get to eat it in a foam plate with a half a mussel shell as a spoon. Price: RD$100. I've been eating it for over 10 years, and sometimes I go for seconds. : )

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We beat the hell out of it with a meat tenderizer and deep fry chunks to make a conchburger, Key West style...

charlie&ziggy

Mar 1, 2009
Nope, it is conch, and wonderful when done right, we have it in a salad in Costambar, and Puerto Plata. Lambi a la vinegrette

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Is Lambi the same as Lamb?

That's what I first thought when I saw it on the menu, but it was under the seafood section. So that made me think it might be some sort of fish that someone thought looked like a lamb (like catfish or lionhead).

Turns out, it's conch (as in conch shells), made from the very large snails that live in ocean.

I enjoy lambi empanadas quite well, although the meat is rubbery.

Jul 4, 2010
Conch (lambi)

Lambi (conch)...

345fn7c.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hell! i had no idea that someone lives inside those! i never find those shell anywhere on the beach and judging by the ammount of lambi sold here the shells should be on every corner.
but still, how does a live lambi look like? the lodger, i mean, not the accomodation.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
hell! i had no idea that someone lives inside those! i never find those shell anywhere on the beach and judging by the ammount of lambi sold here the shells should be on every corner.
but still, how does a live lambi look like? the lodger, i mean, not the accomodation.

Where else would Conchman live?

;)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006

Here, found this one online: http://www.lameca.org/dossiers/lambi/photos/lambi_2ans.gif

It looks kind of scary, I am not sure I would like to eat it. :paranoid: