Eating food from the Dominican Republic

globalnosh

Jan 28, 2011
globalnosh.wordpress.com
HI all

I'm planning to eat dishes that originate from the Dominican Replublic all next week, as part research for an experiment that will hopefully also become a book.
The experiment is to go through the alphabet eating food all week from a country that begins with each letter.
So far I've done Angola, Burma and Croatia and next week I've chosen the Dominican Republic.
Can anyone let me know what are the dishes that best sum up Dominican Republic's cusinie?

Thanks

globalnosh

Micropreneur

Jan 15, 2011
Habichuelas Dulces

For desert you should try habichuealas con dulce (Sweet cream of beans).

We are coming up on Semana Santa (Holy Week) and my house will be full of the interesting mixed smell of sweet beans and a few hours later... the after-effects.

ljw

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
micropreneur states

We are coming up on Semana Santa (Holy Week) and my house will be full of the interesting mixed smell of sweet beans and a few hours later... the after-effects.

i believe the term is ?thermonuclear?.

Reactions: Africaida

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
rice and plantains, if you only eat rice and plantains you've got it. throw in an occasional piece of chicken or an egg you're done..........no need to get fancy although dominican food can be quite interesting and different, no dominican goes a day without rice........

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
rice and plantains, if you only eat rice and plantains you've got it. throw in an occasional piece of chicken or an egg you're done..........no need to get fancy although dominican food can be quite interesting and different, no dominican goes a day without rice........

Really , my wife hasn't eaten rice for 5 or 6 years, she doesn't eat pork either.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
lucky you, one time i spent the afternoon making spagetti and meatballs, italian NY all the way, my dominican wife made a pot of rice as i was gettig ready to serve.....

Reactions: Africaida

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
True story: My husband's aunt made meat, yuca w/onions, tostones, russian salad, etc., for lunch at noon. Whole family ate. About 2 pm the [grown] son asked when she was serving lunch. She told him he had eaten already! He said, "Oh no, lunch is rice and beans!!!!"

RIP Francisco, I hope they serve rice & beans wherever you are.

AE

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday, we had spaghetti with meat sauce, lettuce and tomato salad, ripe plantains "? la paila", (which means fried in hot caramelized brown sugar!") and.....yup, cook asked me if I wanted rice and beans!!..

HB

May 29, 2006
One of the easier things to make would be tostones. You cut a green plaintain into half inch slices, fry it for a few minutes, then flatten it to about 1/4" before frying it again. Then you put A LOT of salt on it and eat it like French Fries. Plaintains take some work to peel. I normally cut them into 3" sections first then cut the peel off. It is a popular street food in the DR and a common side dish. You have to fry them before pressing them! Another plus for plantains is they are under a dollar each in the US and often much cheaper.

Dominicans eat a lot of starch in their diet. Plantains, over-cooked spaghetti, beans and rice and yucca can all be in the same meal. Dominicans make rice with a technique that caramelizes the rice in the bottom to make something called "con-con"

Chicken guisado would be good if you have the time and cooking skills.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
rice and beans, plantains, yucca, occasional piece of meat........everyday, everyday, everyday, boring, boring, boring, and this all gets eaten at noon. no need now for a nice dinner at 6PM, no such thing as "supper".