Trying to help some young people here in Santiago

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
3 young ladies near my home that I have known for years were having pc computer problems. I'm not very good on computers so I took it to my friend Marco in Sosua and he did everything he could possibly do.Their computer is very old and the memory was only 128 megs of Ram, very inadequate. Marco installed Windows XP and the computer pretty much ground to a halt. Their computer really needs an old Windows version 95 or 98. Now, here it comes, does anyone out there have an old copy of Windows 95 or 98 that I could use and return. Any help for these young people would be greatly appreciated.

B in Santiago

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I have found a disc here marked Win '98 1.6 - honestly have no idea if it's what you are searching for but you are welcome to try it.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
For older, less powerful computers, you may want to consider something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu Linux. There is a slight learning curve ... mostly just to learn how to navigate the desktop. But it is user friendly.

Win 95/98 is so old that there really isn't much software available and able to run on it. At least with one of the two Linux versions, you will have something that is more up to date and will do most of what modern software is capable of. PLUS IT"S FREE AND DOWNLOADABLE!!! That way you can try it, and keep it if you like it. Just download and install the "desktop" version (not "server", which is much more complex).

I use both windows and Linux (the machine I'm currently on is running Linux). And I have found it is easy for a novice to use. Also, as a side benefit, very little chance of getting viruses.

Hope that helps.

Main Page - Linux Mint
Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
For older, less powerful computers, you may want to consider something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu Linux. There is a slight learning curve ... mostly just to learn how to navigate the desktop. But it is user friendly.

Win 95/98 is so old that there really isn't much software available and able to run on it. At least with one of the two Linux versions, you will have something that is more up to date and will do most of what modern software is capable of. PLUS IT"S FREE AND DOWNLOADABLE!!! That way you can try it, and keep it if you like it. Just download and install the "desktop" version (not "server", which is much more complex).

I use both windows and Linux (the machine I'm currently on is running Linux). And I have found it is easy for a novice to use. Also, as a side benefit, very little chance of getting viruses.

Hope that helps.

Main Page - Linux Mint
Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

What he said!

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Ok, Is there a computer store in Santiago that specializes in used computers that will end this nightmare for me and the girls. Or would anyone have an old good running machine that they would sell at a fair price.....I have already made 2 trips to Sosua and now out of pocket 4 mil and I just want to help them without going crazy.

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
Already out 4 000 pesos?

Ok,

old good running machine that they would sell at a fair price.....now out of pocket 4 mil and I just want to help them without going crazy.

If you are not in a hurry, I could leave you with a less than one year old portable computer with Windows 7 and 2 G of memory

But only by April 7 for 220 dollars. Interested ?

Failing that, I would buy a used computer more recent , with at least Windows XP; why ? because they won't be able to use an old operating system as most actual programs require Windows XP and at least 500 MB of memory.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Ok, Is there a computer store in Santiago that specializes in used computers that will end this nightmare for me and the girls. Or would anyone have an old good running machine that they would sell at a fair price.....I have already made 2 trips to Sosua and now out of pocket 4 mil and I just want to help them without going crazy.
Call my friend Rivas he is a computer tech and have all kind of software...
Here is his info; rivas1030@hotmail.com or 809-495-5509.

Btw in Santiago.

JJ

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
OK, this is good, I have some options now. Going to do a little research with Marco now and see what the best course of action is......maybe the girls will have a working computer soon.

B in Santiago

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
OK, this is good, I have some options now. Going to do a little research with Marco now and see what the best course of action is......maybe the girls will have a working computer soon.

B in Santiago

Well done for all your time and effort - am sure the girls will appreciate it when they have a functioning computer again.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I'm a computer expert and I'm in Santiago. The cheapest way to fix their issue would be Linux, but not Mint or Ubuntu as they are very graphic heavy, a lite Ubuntu derivative would be the best answer, even Android or Moblin could work as they are very lite, and if they were using Win95 before, I doubt they used it for much more than internet and typing things up. Send me a PM and I can give you more advice.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Ok, problem solved........I have a second PC here that is in Spanish and Marco tricked it out a few months ago. It was for my girlfriend but she has departed for younger waters.
I am going to give this to the girls and if by some chance my x-novia returns, maybe I'll buy another, It's only money, right. The girls are all coming to my house now, I told them I have a surprise for them. And for everyone with a dirty mind....it's the puter....lol
Are they ever going to be surprised. Now I can take my time and if I can get their old one working properly, they will have 2.

B in Santiago

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I'm a computer expert and I'm in Santiago. The cheapest way to fix their issue would be Linux, but not Mint or Ubuntu as they are very graphic heavy, a lite Ubuntu derivative would be the best answer, even Android or Moblin could work as they are very lite, and if they were using Win95 before, I doubt they used it for much more than internet and typing things up. Send me a PM and I can give you more advice.

If I bring the puter to you, would you have the time and patience to install for them. If it's a few bucks I won't mind. There's 3 of them so a second puter would be great.

Reactions: Tamborista

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
From time to time I use a Linux based OS "freespire" and ubuntu 2.6. but I won't recommend open source for new computer users as they are a little bit complicated.
all theses software are free and easy to download online all you have to do is to burn a butable CD but always is good to erase-all-data in hard drive using a "killdisk" program that you can download for free online too.

JJ

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
If I bring the puter to you, would you have the time and patience to install for them. If it's a few bucks I won't mind. There's 3 of them so a second puter would be great.

Sure, and if your ex comes back, laugh in her face, don't take her back.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Also, could you tell me the specs of the computer so I can find the best OS to put on it.

I requested the specs from Marco through Skype and am currently waiting for an answer. The minute he responds I will forward to you, and Thank you.
I do know that the Ram is antique...I believe 128 megs...I know, throw the computer away......lol
There wasn't even enough Ram left for an anti-virus.

B in Santiago

vnazaire

Sep 4, 2010
Good for the Museum !

I do know that the Ram is antique...I believe 128 megs...I know, throw the computer away......lol
There wasn't even enough Ram left for an anti-virus.

B in Santiago
Good for the Museum !
They won't be able to download anything ! Flash programs, PDF booklets, photos upload and download ,etc
and probably the maximum memory size allowed by the motherboard is 256 Meg
Get these girls a REAL computer !:cheeky: