Living in the Uk, Gf in dominican, Can we both fly to NY?

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Hey. if i live in uk, and fly to puerto plata to visit my gf... what are the legalities of me flying to puerto plata, then us both flying to New york for a week, then coming home just before my return flight to the uk?

Will i have problems at any dr or us airports?

thanks guys

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hey. if i live in uk, and fly to puerto plata to visit my gf... what are the legalities of me flying to puerto plata, then us both flying to New york for a week, then coming home just before my return flight to the uk?

thanks guys

None whatsoever. If she has a visa for the U.S. I'm presuming you're English.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Small technicality!

thanks guys

No problem, as long as she has a US Tourist Visa or US Passport!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
but

No problem, as long as she has a US Tourist Visa or US Passport!

Without the afore mentioned items meet her someplace like Lima Peru. As she will not be allowed into the US. Thats probably a few hundred doller donation to the US consulate, and still no visa.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
You will need to register on the internet with the US authorities to travel on the visa waiver scheme if you don't have a US passport and have a passport covered by the scheme.
The cost is about 25 dollars and you need a credit card.
S.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
You will need to register on the internet with the US authorities to travel on the visa waiver scheme if you don't have a US passport and have a passport covered by the scheme.
S.

Normally, I don't correct people's English on here because I realize that many are not native speakers. But in this case, I feel compelled.

UK citizens are included in the Visa Waiver Program.

"Scheme" has many different meanings in English, and one of them means a plot for deception.

Now that registering for it costs $25, maybe it should be characterized as a scheme.

Nevertheless, I'd hate for someone to be denied entry to the US after mentioning to the Border Patrol that he or she is entering under the Visa Waiver Scheme. Unfortunately, for some of the agents, that's all it would take.

Yes, it really is that bad anymore.

boniouk

Aug 17, 2010
Ok thanks for the replies, a few of u asked if i was Uk so i'll clarify for you in the hope i can get a definite answer....

Im from the Uk. all my life.
My girlfriend was born in costa rica and now studies in the dominican whilst living with her parents (pastors).

I believe she has a lot help with visa stuff as something to do with the UN and costa rica, not sure but she doesnt always need one, but has been asked in the US before why she is going to DR.

So... hope this helps with giving me a clear answer. thanks again guys.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
S.

You can get an "Internet" US Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) costs;
A $4 cost recovery fee and is in addition to the mandatory $10 travel promotion fee. The total fee for a new or renewed ESTA is $14. As Yanandu said, you will need a credit card.

Currently, eligible nationals of 36 countries can participate in the Visa Waiver Program:

Andorra Hungary New Zealand
Australia Iceland Norway
Austria Ireland Portugal
Belgium Italy San Marino
Brunei Japan Singapore
Czech Republic Latvia Slovakia
Denmark Liechtenstein Slovenia
Estonia Lithuania South Korea
Finland Luxembourg Spain
France Malta Sweden
Germany Monaco Switzerland
Greece the Netherlands United Kingdom

She will need to apply for a B-2 visitor visa- nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for pleasure or tourism- at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo.... Good luck

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
It just occurred to me: as your girlfriend is the daughter of missionaries: what nationality is her passport? [If her parents are US citizen missionaries to Costa Rica, it might be that she holds a US passport.] It sounds from your posting that she has visited the US, thus either holding a US passport or a visa. However, Costa Rica was, but no longer is, part of the Visa Waiver Program (if my memory serves me correctly).

If she holds a passport from Costa Rica, can anyone advise him whether or not it would be better for his girlfriend to apply in Santo Domingo or Costa Rica for a visitor visa (if she doesn't already have one)? I know that Santo Domingo has a pretty high refusal rate, but I have no idea about San Jose.

And to the OP: would your girlfriend be willing and/or able to travel to San Jose to seek a visa?

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
US law states that every applicant for a non-immigrant visitor visa will be presumed to be an intending immigrant (overstay) to the United States, or as previous poster said a "scheme".

In order to overcome this presumption and qualify for a visa to the US, visitors must demonstrate significant economic, familial, social and other ties to their home country that will compel them to leave the US before the end of their authorized visit/stay.

Refusal rates differ- depending on applicant's nationality (as well as application location I guess). Some countries' citizens are notorious for remaining (overstaying), and with the current world economic downturn it has also had a negative impact on the ability of visitors to qualify for visas.

For example Taiwanese have one of the world's lowest refusal rates (3.2%)- regardless of where application is made. While on the flipside, Laotians have a 74.4% rate. These rates are for FY 2010. The rates are rumored to be significantly higher than advertised...:cry:

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I am a Brit living here in the DR and normally you will not require a visa, other than under the ESTA agreement which can be done online. This will allow you to travel by 'normal' means, i.e. Approved Airline or cruise company to the US.
If your girlfriend does not have a passport which allows free movement to the USA, i.e., any of those mentioned previously or does not hold a valid visitor's B1/B2 then she will not be permitted to land in the USA or Territories of the USA. PR ,USVI. etc.

In the case that your girlfriend does not yet have the necessary documents:

(As I travel by other means to the USA on occasions, I need a visitor's visa also and this can be a quite daunting task.) You will require probably more than 2 weeks to complete the formalities and obtain the interview appointment in the US Consular Services in Santo Domingo then wait for the issue of the visa if granted.Take a lot of patience with you.You will also have to be present if you are to be the sponsor.

It's not easy.

Just as a caveat;
The $140 application fee and the $16 PIN number fee are non-refundable even should the application be unsuccesful.

Last edited: