Orange on Calle Del Sol

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
The last time I was in Santiago was about 1 year ago. I know there is an Orange phone store on Callle Del Sol a block away from Hotel Aloha Sol. Does anybody know if I could pick up a cheap $15-20 phone there for use while I am in DR. If not there, anywhere else nearby to that location. I would like to have a phone to use while I am there in order to beat the ridiculous Verizon rates on my domestic US cell phone. Thanks to all in advance!!!!

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Thanks Racer. Do you know if it is possible to buy cheap phones there for $15 - 20 just for general use on a trip? I have been told it is possible and they come in handy.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I guess so, with your passport. I have my phone from Claro which has an office on the next block. But I had my friend open the account and I just paid for the phone. So technically her name is on the account but you know, it can be done.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
They usually have a couple of different models of brand new phones for $15-$20 including the SIM card and 100 pesos or so of calling time. Takes only a couple of minutes to set up, as mentioned just bring your passport. If they don't have them, go to Claro down the street. If you're not in that area, most any Orange or Claro store, and there are 100's in Santiago, should have them.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I just picked up an Alcatel for $450 pesos with $300 pesos of airtime on it. IT was a new activation for our nanny since her old phone broke. It was cheaper to get a whole new SIM than to just buy the phone. We just slipped out the new SIM and put in her old one.

It's an Orange phone but not from that orange shop. It's pre-paid, in my name and it took two hours to process because of whatever they do special for foreigners - if it's a dominican soliciting it, it's instant.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Thats what I did. I just put the Claro SIM in my old AT&T Blackberry and that was that.