what's the cost to leave the country?

ginasosua

Oct 17, 2010
www.saddleoutlet.se
We have stayed for about 7 months in Dominican republic by the time we are leaving for europe.
I was told there is a fee you have to pay at the airport when you have stayed "too long" in the country.
My parents who only stayed for 1 months were charged with 25 USD each and was told that for my period of time it would be 500 USD each for me and my kids!?
Does anyone know what's going on?

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
This comes up at least once a week on DR1.

This is cut and pasted from the DR government website. Obviously in Dominican Pesos

IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA
VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA

CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE VIP
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -

Carlten

Feb 5, 2011
Hi ginasosua,
Not in every country you have to pay for leaving.
Through this forum I came to know that you have to pay for leaving Dominican republic.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Hi ginasosua,
Not in every country you have to pay for leaving.
Through this forum I came to know that you have to pay for leaving Dominican republic.

In some countries, like the USA, Switzerland, etc..., if you overstay you may not be allowed to reenter!!!
Comparing the 2 options - I find the DR, paying for overstay a fair offer!

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
The fee must be related to air travel, it cost me nothing to walk across the border at Jimani.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
although it takes a lot of chutzpah to correct our resident attorney..here I go....

i think that there is an exit fee for foreigners of US$25 // I have paid that whenever I have gone to Haiti no matter how long I have been here. think it is included in the fees on air fares..

The exit fee is not just for foreigners, we Dominican have to pay the exit fee too. :disappoin

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
A lot of visitors, even frequent ones, are not even aware of the exit fee because it is encorporated into the ticket price on regularly scheduled commercial flights. Charter passengers generally have to pay it seperately on departure and are warned by the carrier to be sure they hold back the necessary funds.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
In some countries, like the USA, Switzerland, etc..., if you overstay you may not be allowed to reenter!!! Comparing the 2 options - I find the DR, paying for overstay a fair offer!

If you overstay what ????????????? I think you are talking about people that need a visa to enter a country which is not the same as the tourist card that allows us to stay 30 days in the D.R. (I know people from some countries need visa to enter the D.R., that's another thing though).

In the D.R., according to the law you need a prorroga (extension of your tourist card) to be legal after the 30 days period. The problem is that the authorities in the D.R. do not follow the law so you can pay for the overstaying period when you get out of the D.R.

Tourist card and visa are two different things.

elnegro

Mar 30, 2011
i would like to know where we have to go if we want to pay this prorroga (extension of our tourist card)?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You don't go to pay it, you will get charged at passport control, don't worry, you can't get done for trying to avoid it. If they are sleepy you may even get through without paying. Otherwise just go through as normal, they will pull you on it, or not!!

Jan 17, 2009
i would like to know where we have to go if we want to pay this prorroga (extension of our tourist card)?

You go to Extranjeria in Santo Domingo to request a 'prorroga' to remain legally in the country. I wouldn't bother if you are not in Santo Domingo and are not driving (best to have it if you're driving so you're driving legally with your foreign license). To pay your overstay fee, you just do it at the airport, in Immigration, when you leave.

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
The Haiti exit fee is now included in your plane ticket fare. In the past, you paid at the aiport after checking in for your flight. If you travel to Haiti by bus (Caribe or Coachline), you will pay the fee when you purchase the ticket. My ticket is always more than the rest of my family, as I am the only non-Haitian. Our girls do not pay, even with their American passports, because we travel with their Haitian papers as well. (bonus - they dont pay in the DR either, because they were born here!) I am not sure when/what/where they charge you if you travel on the smaller guaguas. When travelling in private car, I have not paid any fees. This could be due to chance, rather than law.

In regards to the fees at the airport in the DR, I have NEVER paid the same thing twice. I always travel between the 9mths-1 year time period and I have paid anywhere from 800 pesos to 2,000. Other friends of mine who fall into the same time frame have paid nothing as well. I suppose that it all depends on the day, the agent, and the crowd....?

calverde

Dec 22, 2009
exit fee no biggie buy plane ticket then sit back and enjoy but youll miss things like colmados