Processing 35 mm film in Santo Domingo?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I need to process negative and slide 35mm films with professional quality (no expired chemicals, no stupid lab operators that can ruin the films). It's better if they know what is cross?processing, push processing etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Estevez in Santo Domingo, maybe Studio A or FotoColor in Santiago.

You do know that the last Kodachrome lab in the States shut down last month.

HB

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks.

I did not know about Kodachrome in US. Anyways there are many film photography enthusiasts in US, so some labs will remain open just for them. I hope here in Dominicana too.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Hillbilly, do you have phone number, address or something else about the Estevez? I have no idea what is it and where is it, just tried to google it but no results at all.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks.

I did not know about Kodachrome in US. Anyways there are many film photography enthusiasts in US, so some labs will remain open just for them. I hope here in Dominicana too.

No such luck; there are no more labs processing Kodachrome.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I just found a home C-41 film developing kit for US 17.99 on the net, dry chemicals.... just add water and that's it. Not so heavy to ship it here on regular basis. All I need is to buy a processing tank for another US 20.

Maybe it's better to do it at home than use oligophrenic service here. But I will visit the photolab too, just to check it out and test with one film.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I still develop and print my own B&W but prefer to have neg/pos film done same day by local lab. If you find lab in DR that can push/pull/cross- process please post.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Estevez is the Kodak distributor for the DR...Sorry, I do not have a Santo Domingo phonebook handy here in Santiago...I'll see if there is one around..

HB

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I just checked the yellow pages book from Codetel... found only Kodak Dominicana C por A, but not Estevez.

Actually, there is a huge list of so-called photolabs in this book, but I believe most of them provide dominican style service (like everybody in this country). I don't want to have fingerprints on my films, as well as dust or curly black hair )). I also need the English speaking guy there, because I am not sure that I can explain in Spanish that I need to cross process a film to inject a bit of cool blues into my images, for example. So I need to know where to go exactly, because to visit them all is a headache.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Stop beating your head against the wall.

Switch to digital, amigo.. make your life easier! Don't get me wrong... I LOVE film, and still get a thrill picking up a "REAL" camera; but after struggling to get competent, quality processing (and I'm here in Pittsburgh... in the States), I was never happier than when I made the switch to digital and had complete control of what I delivered to my clients.

I know that the results won't be exactly what you would get from cross processing, but I'm sure with a little poking around in photoshop you'll be able to get as good or better.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Switch to digital, amigo.. make your life easier!
Man, my life is too easy. I have 3 digital Canons. The idea is that I travel a lot, and I want to make film photos while traveling. Nothing special, no expensive lens, SLRs, etc... but I bought two nice point-and-shoot cameras from 80's, and they give picture that you just can't get from digital cameras, even if you use expensive DSLRs. It's the same if you compare tube guitar amp sound with solid state's one.

It's not so difficult to scan couple of films after each travel. The flatbed scanner from Canon can scan up to 12 frames in one batch, and results are pretty good.

I just want to find the right place for developing the films, but if I don't find it, I can do all the process at home.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
If you're traveling, I recommend that you cary the film back home with you if you want special processing, i.e. cross process, push, etc. etc. If you want straight processing of C-41 or E-6, you should be able to get it at larger photo service suppliers or even mini-labs. If you do carry the exposed film back home, JUST MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT IT in lead foil bags. (FilmSafe is the brand that used to be popular... don't know if they're still around.) They really crank up the x-ray inspections these days, and it is a cumulative exposure. You can't count on hand inspection anymore. Have fun and good luck! :) BTW... I just read about a new software program that takes images from modern digital cameras, and processes the files to look like they were shot on old simple cameras. Can't think of the name of it, but a google search would find it.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Yes, I love vintage things. I drive old american truck, I love to play my telecaster with my vintage tube amp, and I want to use my simple vintage film camera. ))