Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Divorce

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Divorce

Yes, my marriage to my Dominican hubby has bit the dust.....please save any comments.

He decided to cheat on me with a Canadian lady (married) so I left him in DR. Now he says he is going to divorce me, and she will do the same with her hubby, then they can get married and he can go to Canada to be with her.

He says he just needs his passport and a copy of our son's birth certificate to get the divorce from me without my knowledge or consent. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to stop him doing this? Seems strange that he can be the one committing adultery, yet he can just divorce me as easy as that without my consent.

She says she went to the lawyer with him and it is all true and she will do the same with her divorce to her husband.

Any help with be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Give him his passport, it's his and you have no legal right to keep it. Don't give him a copy of the child's birth certificate.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait to hear from Fabio, especially about son's birth certificate. I'd be afraid that this could result in consequences detrimental to you and your son.

As far as his passport is concerned, I think Bob is right.

Are you and especially your son out of the DR now, out of reach of the Dominican court?

I don't know if Fabio's law firm handles cases like this, but you need a lawyer you can trust and Fabio's firm is the most trustworthy I know of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eralc777 View Post
    Yes, my marriage to my Dominican hubby has bit the dust.....please save any comments.

He decided to cheat on me with a Canadian lady (married) so I left him in DR. Now he says he is going to divorce me, and she will do the same with her hubby, then they can get married and he can go to Canada to be with her.

He says he just needs his passport and a copy of our son's birth certificate to get the divorce from me without my knowledge or consent. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to stop him doing this? Seems strange that he can be the one committing adultery, yet he can just divorce me as easy as that without my consent.

She says she went to the lawyer with him and it is all true and she will do the same with her divorce to her husband.

Any help with be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear this but your life with your son must go on.

No it's not true that he can get a divorce without your knowledge or consent but who knows what some lawyers are able to do.

He doesn't need your son's birth certificate to get a divorce but he might use it to put him on his visa application to take the boy to Canada first chance he gets so listen to Bob and DO NOT give it to him.

Hang on to your son and his birth certificate and let the scum bag ( sorry) go get and pay for his own divorce.

Do you have his passport or is he saying that all he needs is a passport and son's birth certificate to get a divorce?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eralc777 View Post
    He says he just needs his passport and a copy of our son's birth certificate to get the divorce from me without my knowledge or consent.
    Sorry that you're going through this.

Children are only brought up in divorce as relates to custody/visitation/support.

My gut tells me he wants to include the child in his paperwork for Canada. So, I'd recommend that you become proactive and be prepared to request child support (if child is with you) and outline international travel rights of both parents. It's no guarantee of avoiding future problems, but it's a start.

If it were just you having a divorce thrust upon you, it wouldn't be worth a fight. With children, it's another story.

Good luck and get good legal counsel.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is possible to get a divorce without spouse's concent if that person is not currently available, missing or simly does not want to show up. But I would definitely make sure that your child's rights are protected with a help of a good lawer. Good luck!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont have his passport.....I didnt say that.

I said, he says he needs his passport and birth certificate to do the divorce. He wasnt asking me for them, he was saying thats all he needs.

I do have the birth certificate, but I presume he can go to the office in Puerto Plata to get a copy of that.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily, me and my son are back in UK. Also, my husband did sign a document giving me permission to leave the country with my son. Maybe that will work in my favour?

He has played hardly any part in his upbringing so far, so it would shock me that he would fight me for custody. But if he did, I just want to be prepared.

How could he fight me from there? Bearing in mind, he wouldnt be able to afford a lawyer....unless his new woman pays for it like she pays his rent, living expenses etc. Sad!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont particularly want to stop the divorce, but I want to make it difficult for them. What is the time scale for a divorce? And then after a divorce, how soon can they get married?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't waste your time making it difficult for him...he likely won't get into canada anyway.

Save your mental health and let him go.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast