Divorce

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Yes, my marriage to my Dominican hubby has bit the dust.....please save any comments.

He decided to cheat on me with a Canadian lady (married) so I left him in DR. Now he says he is going to divorce me, and she will do the same with her hubby, then they can get married and he can go to Canada to be with her.

He says he just needs his passport and a copy of our son's birth certificate to get the divorce from me without my knowledge or consent. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to stop him doing this? Seems strange that he can be the one committing adultery, yet he can just divorce me as easy as that without my consent.

She says she went to the lawyer with him and it is all true and she will do the same with her divorce to her husband.

Any help with be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Give him his passport, it's his and you have no legal right to keep it. Don't give him a copy of the child's birth certificate.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Wait to hear from Fabio, especially about son's birth certificate. I'd be afraid that this could result in consequences detrimental to you and your son.

As far as his passport is concerned, I think Bob is right.

Are you and especially your son out of the DR now, out of reach of the Dominican court?

I don't know if Fabio's law firm handles cases like this, but you need a lawyer you can trust and Fabio's firm is the most trustworthy I know of.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yes, my marriage to my Dominican hubby has bit the dust.....please save any comments.

He decided to cheat on me with a Canadian lady (married) so I left him in DR. Now he says he is going to divorce me, and she will do the same with her hubby, then they can get married and he can go to Canada to be with her.

He says he just needs his passport and a copy of our son's birth certificate to get the divorce from me without my knowledge or consent. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to stop him doing this? Seems strange that he can be the one committing adultery, yet he can just divorce me as easy as that without my consent.

She says she went to the lawyer with him and it is all true and she will do the same with her divorce to her husband.

Any help with be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear this but your life with your son must go on.

No it's not true that he can get a divorce without your knowledge or consent but who knows what some lawyers are able to do.

He doesn't need your son's birth certificate to get a divorce but he might use it to put him on his visa application to take the boy to Canada first chance he gets so listen to Bob and DO NOT give it to him.

Hang on to your son and his birth certificate and let the scum bag ( sorry) go get and pay for his own divorce.

Do you have his passport or is he saying that all he needs is a passport and son's birth certificate to get a divorce?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
He says he just needs his passport and a copy of our son's birth certificate to get the divorce from me without my knowledge or consent.

Sorry that you're going through this.

Children are only brought up in divorce as relates to custody/visitation/support.

My gut tells me he wants to include the child in his paperwork for Canada. So, I'd recommend that you become proactive and be prepared to request child support (if child is with you) and outline international travel rights of both parents. It's no guarantee of avoiding future problems, but it's a start.

If it were just you having a divorce thrust upon you, it wouldn't be worth a fight. With children, it's another story.

Good luck and get good legal counsel.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I think it is possible to get a divorce without spouse's concent if that person is not currently available, missing or simly does not want to show up. But I would definitely make sure that your child's rights are protected with a help of a good lawer. Good luck!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I dont have his passport.....I didnt say that.

I said, he says he needs his passport and birth certificate to do the divorce. He wasnt asking me for them, he was saying thats all he needs.

I do have the birth certificate, but I presume he can go to the office in Puerto Plata to get a copy of that.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Luckily, me and my son are back in UK. Also, my husband did sign a document giving me permission to leave the country with my son. Maybe that will work in my favour?

He has played hardly any part in his upbringing so far, so it would shock me that he would fight me for custody. But if he did, I just want to be prepared.

How could he fight me from there? Bearing in mind, he wouldnt be able to afford a lawyer....unless his new woman pays for it like she pays his rent, living expenses etc. Sad!!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I dont particularly want to stop the divorce, but I want to make it difficult for them. What is the time scale for a divorce? And then after a divorce, how soon can they get married?

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I wouldn't waste your time making it difficult for him...he likely won't get into canada anyway.

Save your mental health and let him go.

Reactions: Bronxboy

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I wouldn't waste your time making it difficult for him...he likely won't get into canada anyway.

Save your mental health and let him go.

I agree, please try to concentrate on your son and your own mental state, forget about that looser, he is not worth your time.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
I dont particularly want to stop the divorce, but I want to make it difficult for them. What is the time scale for a divorce? And then after a divorce, how soon can they get married?

I agree...making it harder for them to get married is just a waste of time...she will find out what he is all about soon enough!
Try and let it go...it will be better for you and your son in the long run!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Luckily, me and my son are back in UK. Also, my husband did sign a document giving me permission to leave the country with my son. Maybe that will work in my favour?

Good that you are out of the country. Stay out and keep your son out of the DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He hasn't got a chance in hell. Put it all behind you - the best revenge is living well. :)

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
live well as Chiri says and if you really want revenge on this woman that cheated with him...... help them get quick divorce so he can marry her before she figures out what he is like

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
eralc777
This is a fresh wound for you. It is understandable that you have angry feelings and want revenge. Those negative feelings will only hurt you. Please think before you act in this matter.
I wish you happiness in the future for you and your son.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Move on, you are pathetic, he is a leach and you found this out the hard way. If you screw with him, he may make your life even worse. Raise your kid with a proper education.... and forget this POS, be thankful he did not give you any STD's. (Get tested for them)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Dear,

I feel for you completely.

But I beg you, please take the advice of these good folks here. Do not let this man make you bitter, because it will only hurt you and your son. I have seen that happen so many times.

For your sake, I recommend the following five steps.
1. Find a good attorney.
2. Find a good babysitter.
3. Find a good friend who will allow you one night and only one night to feel sorry for yourself and who will not repeat a word you say.
4. Find a couple of bottles of red wine (white doesn't have the same results).
5. After the hangover subsides, move on.

Some people substitute a good counselor for step 3 and a support group for step 4.

If it is any comfort to you: Canadian immigration agents are very skeptical when it comes to people marrying Canadian nationals. And even if he does finally get in, Canada is one freaking cold country, and he's going to be miserable there.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Chances are... he is gonna do this again !
So count your blessings and enjoy the money you saved
Manu