Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Small denomination bills

One of the daily frustrations of vacationing in the DR is the the constant unavailability of change from taxi drivers, stores, etc. Any suggestions on how one can find and stock up on small bills such as RD$50s? I will be on the north coast and Santo domingo.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
    One of the daily frustrations of vacationing in the DR is the the constant unavailability of change from taxi drivers, stores, etc. Any suggestions on how one can find and stock up on small bills such as RD$50s? I will be on the north coast and Santo domingo.
    Try a cambio or a bank, better yet try The First CityWide Change Bank!!!

YouTube - Change Bank

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When you change your money ask for small bills. If the cambio does not have small change go to a bank to get some.
    Trust me the businesses have no small bills for a reason. They are counting on you not having any either. Strange irritating game that they have played for years. You have to beat them at the game.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When I'm in need of change, I find a fairly busy restaurant or grocery store, and buy a soft drink or bottle of water, then apologize profusely that I don't have any change, and give them a large bill.

Another trick I learned: when walking down a street, I look in the door of every bank. If there is no line, I enter and ask for change. If they ask if I have an account (which rarely happens), I respond: "billes mas chicos, por favor". I think it's the sound of the Spanish language being so horribly butchered that makes them cave in.

If you are asking the price before you get in the taxi (as is generally recommended), then also ask the driver if he has change.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dulce View Post
    When you change your money ask for small bills. If the cambio does not have small change go to a bank to get some.
    Trust me the businesses have no small bills for a reason. They are counting on you not having any either. Strange irritating game that they have played for years. You have to beat them at the game.
    What a crock. The banks don't always have the small bills period. We go through 30 to 50 K's in 100's every day. There has been days when the Banco de Progresso, "Our tenant so we get treated good" have no 100's. Last week, 20's and 10's were non existant. The week before 100's were hard to come buy. Small businesses don't have the $$ to stock up when maller bills become available.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How come I can't edit??? Anyway maller = smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

Because you were a bad bad boy?? I don;t know.

I do know that there are no RD$10 bills, and I am starting to think of the metallic money as "change"...RD$1.00, RD$5.00, RD$10.00, RD$25.00....

Blessings and peace,

HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    What a crock. The banks don't always have the small bills period. We go through 30 to 50 K's in 100's every day. There has been days when the Banco de Progresso, "Our tenant so we get treated good" have no 100's. Last week, 20's and 10's were non existant. The week before 100's were hard to come buy. Small businesses don't have the $$ to stock up when maller bills become available.
    What you write is also true. I have run into the issue of the banks not having small bills at times.
    In the tourist towns it was "my" experience that it was a game for gift shops so my reality is that what I wrote is not a crock for me.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I Jarabacoa I've noticed the same as Eddy says. Yris's school collects and goes through alot of small bills daily but often the banks will not have small bills. I always make sure I have a few 50's, and 20's available in my pocket.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Because you were a bad bad boy?? I don;t know.

I do know that there are no RD$10 bills, and I am starting to think of the metallic money as "change"...RD$1.00, RD$5.00, RD$10.00, RD$25.00....

Blessings and peace,

HB
    Come on guys/gals you know what I meant.

2 weeks ago : 1 peso COINS were hard to find "I mean a bag of 1000"
    Last week, Progresso had no 10's. Using my usual charm, I was able to get 7000K's worth at Banco Popular (BTW) it lasted 3 days.
    Last week, no 20$'s anywhere. Every week there's something missing. Where does it all end up ??

Not as bad as 3 years ago when I had to buy change "coins" at 100 pesos for 90 pesos worth. Now that's Mafia.

Dulce, I was't going after you of anyone else with my post, it's just that some people think shops do it for gain. Maybe some do but for most, there is a legit reason. They don't have the 50G's + to stock up. Everyone get's on Playero's case when they give "Mentas or Chiklets" They have the same problem as everyone. I usually see their guy at Banco Popular every week getting tons of change. Cuando no hay - no hay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast