Shootout in Encuentro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
This evening about 7.30pm I was driving from Cabarete towards Sosua and I drove past a truck that was towing a car that had its windows shot out. On the back of the truck were a couple of Police Nacional. When I got home I was told that the car was from a shoot out in Encuentro and to do with the famous Arismendy. Anybody got any news about this....I hope that no innocent people got caught up in this.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Heard over a dozen shots and lots of shouting and screaming. Didn't go to see but there were still tourists on the beach and surfers around. Crazy days!
No idea of casualties.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've heard a rumour that somebody was killed. One of Arismendy's men.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
I have also heard a persistent rumor that someone was killed in the shooting at Encuentro beach (one person told me that two people were killed). From the pieces of gossip that I've gathered it seems that security guards shot at a truck, perhaps after being shot at first.

Does anyone with personal knowledge care to fill in the facts for us? What really happened and to whom? Is it unsafe to go surfing at Encuentro? What is the situation now?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I can't confirm any casualties but there is still a group of armed men under a tree guarding an empty beach just a few yards away from the tourist beaches.
It's difficult to understand what exactly they are defending.

The surfers are still going to the surf places and they are a couple of hundred yards further along the beach.There are very few beach goers otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.