travelling from canada and meeting my boyfriend in the Dominican ??

calie

Feb 6, 2011
Hi there,
i really hope someone will be able to help me figure out what the best and most cost effective way to do this.. I'm planning to go out to puerto plata in march, i'll be staying at one of the all inclusive resorts (not sure which one yet) and my boyfriend who lives there will be staying with me when i get there... i know there will be an additional cost for him to stay there.. i've contacted some of the online travel agents for this and even some of the resorts directly.. not sure if anyone else has tried to do this - if so what was the best way? thanks for any help!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
You need to call the travel agent and ask for a deviated package.

Let them know air, hotel and transfer for you and hotel only for your boyfriend.

You will pay the double occupancy rate plus tax and he will pay a slightly reduced price and no tax.

Sunwing/signature vacations will get you the best price for his part.

It is very common but you have to call. You can't book it online.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You will be charged extra because the "Dominican" as you stated does not really exist.

You have committed a linguistic faux pas....The Dominican is an adjective and therefore needs a noun to modify, in this case "Republic" would be adequate.

But then, again that sort of explaines why you did not use the word "sanky" to describe your boyfriend...Tsk Tsk...

HB

Reactions: Africaida

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
You need to call the travel agent and ask for a deviated package.

Let them know air, hotel and transfer for you and hotel only for your boyfriend.

You will pay the double occupancy rate plus tax and he will pay a slightly reduced price and no tax.

Sunwing/signature vacations will get you the best price for his part.

It is very common but you have to call. You can't book it online.

This is exactly what you do - I do it with my husband... cheaper that way.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Book at a chica friendly resort in his name.
This way he can bring you in for free as long as you are prepared to leave your cedula at the front desk ;)

Reactions: badpiece33

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Book at a chica friendly resort in his name.
This way he can bring you in for free as long as you are prepared to leave your cedula at the front desk ;)

Once in a while it's best to read the OP before replying. Why in the world would a Canadian tourist have a cedula ? :ermm:

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
This is why I left a ;) . I guess my atttempt at homour failed :ermm:
Oh well , I thought it was funny and sometimes that is all that matters :bunny:

You will be charged extra because the "Dominican" as you stated does not really exist.

You have committed a linguistic faux pas....The Dominican is an adjective and therefore needs a noun to modify, in this case "Republic" would be adequate.

But then, again that sort of explaines why you did not use the word "sanky" to describe your boyfriend...Tsk Tsk...

HB

Wow, Hillbilly woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Hes not a sanky hes a good man from the animacion team in an adjoining hotel. He is waiting for his big break to get noticed and make it to Broadway.

sparky11867

Jan 5, 2008
ah, but Hillbilly is right.....

please, don't refer to the DR as the Dominican. That is like referring to the U.S. as the United or Great Britian as the Great. Call it the DR or the Dominican Republic. It's a pet peeve of mine, so I guess that it's more than a pet peeve for people who live there. :)

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
please, don't refer to the DR as the Dominican. That is like referring to the U.S. as the United or Great Britian as the Great. Call it the DR or the Dominican Republic. It's a pet peeve of mine, so I guess that it's more than a pet peeve for people who live there. :)

Well I refer to the US as the States, so I see nothing wrong with saying the dominican, but I normally say the DR

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
you are getting there

Well I refer to the US as the States, so I see nothing wrong with saying the dominican, but I normally say the DR

If you followed your own logic, you would call it the Republic.

I have noticed a few types of people say the Dominican. Tourists and baseball fans who hear it on ESPN.

Twix

Banned
Feb 23, 2011
If you followed your own logic, you would call it the Republic.

I have noticed a few types of people say the Dominican. Tourists and baseball fans who hear it on ESPN.

really the Dominican Republic is Republica Dominicana in Spanish, and so in Spanish they say Dominican last, not first. United States is United States in English, so there you have Dominican (without the a) and States :B to just say United, or Republic sounds stupid.

btw I'm not a tourist and I hate sports, don't watch them either

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

Nah, can't say I've ever come across anyone pedantic enough to be arsed what anyone calls this country. Dominican, Republic, hell, heaven, don't think it is that important, why should it upset you if you don't even live in the country?

Reactions: mike l

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Kind of Pathetic

Nah, can't say I've ever come across anyone pedantic enough to be arsed what anyone calls this country. Dominican, Republic, hell, heaven, don't think it is that important, why should it upset you if you don't even live in the country?

I agree it is really not that big of a deal, for some reason many folks on this site have a bug up their ass when the term "The Dominican" is used. In fact many bilingual native Dominicanos use this taboo term...what can I say?

I would rather concentrate on eyebrow tatoos myself.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I firmly believe I woke on the wrong side of the bed today and experienced la gota que colm? la copa but not in regards to the naming of this country.

At any rate Twix my apologies, my assumption of your logic was that you were using the noun to call States and therefore the noun for DR would be Republic...but it's not that big a deal anyway.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
saying "I went to the Dominican" is exactly like saying "I went to the American and visited New York" or "I was in the Canadian....."

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Well glad the OP is being helped! :rolleyes:

Question, is saying " La Dominicana" or La Republica" different than saying "The Dominican" when referring to the country ?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Well glad the OP is being helped! :rolleyes:

Question, is saying " La Dominicana" or La Republica" different than saying "The Dominican" when referring to the country ?

I use "La Republica" sometimes but I make sure to use it in the context of a strictly Dominican conversation.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
"La Dominicana" is a female Dominican, in spanish for the country its "La Republica Dominicana" Using "the Dominican" when referring to the country, is like using, "The Canadian" when referring to Canada.
"I went to the Canadian last year and had a great time."