"Your mom's Creole, right?"

Ytq

Feb 6, 2011
Like 4 years ago, I paid my first trip to a Dominican salon, and one of the ladies asked me this.
Her accent was so thick that I didn't understand what she was saying, so I just did the whole *nod/laugh* thing, until I realized like 10 minutes later what she'd actually said.

But i know "creole" has different meanings in different places- did she mean like Haitian?? o_o

4 years later, and I'm still stumped.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Depends...we dont know what she said either but Creole also means something different in Louisiana.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Criollo is simply used to mean something like "native", so depending on the context they could have been asking if your mother was Dominican.

Criollo originally meant the descendants of Spanish settlers, not necessarily mixed with indigenous or other races. Several Latin American countries I've spent time in use it in the same way, which makes it confusing to read a news report about something (e.g. food) or someone described as criollo, so context is everything. In Haiti, Kreyol is the language.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Yea but it also means "are your people light skinned Cuban or Puerto Rican?" too. And are they light skin French speaking folk is what is means in New Orleans? I dont think the language is crucial as is the parentage.