health care in DR

peinurse

Feb 6, 2011
hi, im new to this message board. i am a canadian nurse and would love to work somewhere warm and sunny, preferably punta cana/bavaro area. my question is about health care.

what is the health care like in dominican? anyone know of canadians practising down there?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
It is 1st World level only in about 2 hospitals in the whole country.
Here is a better idea. What is your level of education as a nurse? Experience? NP? PA? RN? What I am thinking that if your level of Spanish is good you could possibly instruct these women on more up to date and current nursing techniques.

Nursing isnt a profession in the DR as it is in Canada. But you could change that. If you were patient. Get with a doctor and see if you guys could do seminars for nurse professionalism(the old inhouse training). This will only work in the big cities though.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Racer X- There are numerous hospitals in the DR that are first world. Every year less and less wealthy Dominicans go to the states for medical treatment. I know, we used to have cousins that crashed my house in Miami for 2 months at a time for cancer related treatments. These same folks are now comfortable with the level of care in the RD. As for nurses, the most that they can make is 30000 k pesos if they are specialized. The rest are poor. Stay in Canada and come for vacations. The RD is for money makers !!!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
No there arent. Stop lying. All the hospitals minus HOMS and one in SD are archaic.

The RD is for money stealers!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
RacerX, i have the highest regard for your insights, but i must disagree with your suggesting to the nurse in question that she become an instructor of sorts. in my 20 years of familiarity with this great land, one thing i have learnt is that Dominicans absolutely resent being corrected, especially by foreigners. they rather continue along the same path as before, where they have a comfort level. trying to show them a different way of doing things just riles them up. they will humor you, and do it your way for 5 minutes. the minute they believe that you are out of earshot, they are back to the old tricks. i watched this guy searching the internet for computer equipment, using a google state search. he had selected the state of Wyoming. i suggested to him that he might want to try somewhere with many college kids, such as massachussetts, or california. he acceded momentarily, and, when i passed by his pc half an hour later, he was back looking in Wyoming. why bother?