Re: Moving there...

C

carabella

I think you should do as your heart calls.
Most importantly, have patience and plan everything accordingly to ensure that all goes well.
I think the DR is a beautiful country, my parents are from there. However, as much as I love it, I cannot become accustomed to the legal situation there, electrical problems, traffic and I miss many of the conveniences we have here (in the U.S.). I also feel that to live in the DR you have to be a good negotiator (salesperson) which I am certainly not, just to carry out everyday things. Many people there are so carefree, I think that is great. But remember you must balance your priorities and expectations in order to make the right decision. Are you willing to give up your career, friends, contacts etc.? And do not let yourself get swept away by someone you met at a resort. Be careful, some people try very hard to take advantage of foreigners. I wish you the best of luck.

Ciao

carabella

N

Noelia

Hi Cathy, I sent you an e-mail, but I wanted to talk about this openly after reading others stories. I am in love with a Dominican guy, and planning to move to santo Domingo in september or October. As one of the girls said, I am preparing myself, both economic and legally. I also think that living there, and visiting the republic are very different experiences. I am planning to move there but still don't know if I am gonna get used to that place(and I've been there twice). But, life is only one, and if now that I am 25 don't take that risk, perhaps I'll never do it. I also think too, that you must decide this only for YOURSELF, in my case things are different, because we had to decide if living in Buenos Aires (where I live) or there, but I had less to loose than him. So, whatever you do, I wish you good luck for you, and for the others in similar situations.
If someone want's to continue discussing about this, please e-mail me. I will be very glad to meet other people in a similar situation. Bye!!
NOELIA

J

Julia

Hi! It's funny, because I was in the same situation as you, A year and a half ago I met a Dominican and I decide to move there.
When I met him,I went back a month after to live with him and his family, I adore my experience and when I came back, I started to prepare my self, I sold my car and I pay my things and I move there 4 months after. A lot of peoples were saying a lot of things, but I didn't listen to them, I wanted to go and I went.
I will never regret for once, I love staying there, I came from Canada, of course, it's not the same life style, but it's an experience that you have to live if you want to. You will grow a lot, it will change you forever. Do want your heart is telling you and even if it's not working with the guy, you have to do it or you will regret it for the rest of your life! It's better if you go first, because you will know him in his real life! And after that if everything is great for both of you, maybe someday, you can move back to your country. Me, I was staying at my mother's house, there was nothing more for me here, then, I took the chance and I still very much in love with him, my family and my friends are coming to visit me. I received a lot of visits since I move here. Me and my boyfriend, we will move back to Canada in a couple of months, He will keep his house here, and we will came here as often as we can. So, I wish you good luck and if you need any tips, I will be very happy to help you.
Good Luck and I am sure that everything is going to be just perfect for you!