Study engineering in the DR, get licensed in the States.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I just heard from a reputable source that you can get a degree from engineering from PUCMM and then go back to the States and sit for the FE/EIT exam. NO PUCMM is not ABET accredited but approves most of the classes, which is the next best thing. The good thing too is PUCMM will be implementing teaching the higher level engineering classes all in English. So if you want to save a lot of money come to the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I assume you mean what disciplines of engineering does PUCMM offer that can certified by ABET? You can contact the director of the PUCMM civil engineering department in Santiago for more info. Tell him Ingeniero Chip sent you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It didn't seem right that I could take such an exam and if I passed it would allow me to stamp architectural drawings.

Assuming you pass the initial exams you still have to work in field in which you desire to practice under a registered professional engineer for 4 years. The term professional engineer is granted by each State irrespective of engineering field (not incl architecture). For example, I have a degree in agricultural engineering but am licensed to practice as an "engineer" in FL. They don't specify what field on the license but there are other requirements that limit one to one's experience and in my own particular case that would be civil engineering.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Interesting... I am an architect and also hold a diploma in Construction Engineering... I'd be interested to see what kind of Engineering Degrees they offer... but it probably wouldn't count here in Canada ?

Just out of curiousity... I am done my schooling.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I went to PUCMM with the intention to find out if I could teach. Unfortunately, they require a masters, which I don't have. However, I can obtain one in two years and then after that they could hire me. They also have planned to have the higher level engineering courses all be in English to give the students an advantage in the US. Obviously this could be a positive for me.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
but still relatively well in this country. And I would assume the teaching position is just one of the job you would hold.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
At the high end of the pay-scale (40,000 $RD/ $12,834 US) annually that would be about what I started at in my first job as an engineer in 1979 and about 4% of what I ended up at in 2003. Amazing how low the wages are.

Some teach because they love to teach not because they care about the money.

I think schools take advantage of this, and it is probably why teachers everywhere are the most underpaid jobs, unless you are the chancellor of a university. Those jokers on top of getting a great pay, they get free housing, free housekeeping and nice leased cars.

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
uhhh, great news for me!!! im studiying civil Eng. at pucmm and im about a year away from graduation!!!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Also good news for those military veterans. They can now use the Montgomery GI Bill in Universities in the Dominican Republic. The Post 911 GI Bill pays $1200- to $1500 US monthly plus $1000.00 usd tuitions and books

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Some teach because they love to teach not because they care about the money.

I think schools take advantage of this, and it is probably why teachers everywhere are the most underpaid jobs, unless you are the chancellor of a university. Those jokers on top of getting a great pay, they get free housing, free housekeeping and nice leased cars.

This is the type of BS that good teachers and professors have to deal with.
The mediocre ones in the other hands believe in this nonsense.

In a capitalist society education is just a business like any other and any good teacher should be compensated based on their work.