this is a game changer

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have not read the entire note, but it seems like the government will try and integrate household servants into the Social Security system.

This will mean additional paperwork, in Spanish, for anyone with a domestic in their households. It also means additional expense.

While this will be wonderful for thousands, I am thinking that now thousands more will be let go or never registered in the system...Just another ploy...for uncle Leonel to get more money to play with...but probably something good.

HB

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Does that mean a different person will do my ironing every 90 days? :)

Maybe a good thing, but I have no doubt it will create a lot of chatter and change for some.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In 1963 I was able to register our "ama de llaves" --a wonderful woman who did everything for us and kept us sane (four guys in a house in Mao) with the IDSS....it helped her a lot and cost pennies, really.

Let's see what the future has for us now...for many this could be a good thing..

HB

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
This will be interesting. Right now you must have a company and an RNC to register employees on the TSS. So how will individuals do this?

It is bound to be a mess and a hassle at the very least.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This will be interesting. Right now you must have a company and an RNC to register employees on the TSS. So how will individuals do this?

It is bound to be a mess and a hassle at the very least.

My wife's school is not a company/corporation but she has a RNC and pays TSS & Medical insurance.

May 12, 2005
That shouuld create headaches for quite a few folks. I think Robert is right, there will be a big turnover of help to avoid paying liquidation and other benefits. Can you imagine a whole neighborhood swapping cleaning ladies with the vencinos?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
That shouuld create headaches for quite a few folks. I think Robert is right, there will be a big turnover of help to avoid paying liquidation and other benefits. Can you imagine a whole neighborhood swapping cleaning ladies with the vencinos?

maidexchange.com

I think you're onto something Frank! :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is a registered private school, but is not a corporation. She pays the taxes, in her name. I 'll ask her how it works.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Any idea what the SS tax is on salaries? As in 7 or 8,000 per month?

Is this new law based on salary or number of hours worked?

I have set up bank accounts for the maid and the assitant.. put in about 14% per month... for them to have upon "retirement" one way or another

would signing them up for SS be a better deal for them?

I know that SS here is relatively new... but the military and government have been getting it for years, no? So do we have confidence that the workers who are signed up will GET the money?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks Bob, I would love the info.

Annie- it will be mandatory for everyone if they bring it into play depending on if they meet the criteria. For example it may only be for "full time" or more then 25 hours a week. I doubt you will have the option to "opt out".

JD - I guess this would only apply to those with multiple clients! LOL

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Annie: I would have more faith in your system than anything the govt does. I paid into the IDSS for 40 years and get nothing back. There are cane workers with receipts that go back decades that have received nothing...

THAt is the big issue here.. Confidence..

HB

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
takemymaid.com; yourmaidformine.com;maidtrade.com. The possibilities are inagotable:cheeky: just like DR tourism! If I were only there to start this business venture! Someone jump on it now!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Social Security

I have not read the entire note, but it seems like the government will try and integrate household servants into the Social Security system.

This will mean additional paperwork, in Spanish, for anyone with a domestic in their households. It also means additional expense.

While this will be wonderful for thousands, I am thinking that now thousands more will be let go or never registered in the system...Just another ploy...for uncle Leonel to get more money to play with...but probably something good.

HB

Yes maybe a good thing. More people will have social security. I wonder if you can then include it as an expense if the maid is an employee in your business but working at your house. Makes it easier if you have a company already doing nomina. A downside could be more unemployment. And how is the DGII going to check this. Most will still be paid the old way.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
takemymaid.com; yourmaidformine.com;maidtrade.com. The possibilities are inagotable:cheeky: just like DR tourism! If I were only there to start this business venture! Someone jump on it now!

I wouldn't be surprised if some Dominican government member or his family is already into a "maid business"...