Free free phone = Whistlephone

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, here is another free phone service with superb sound quality. perfect for people living in USA or outside. I am in DR and I have just configured this phone on a Vonage type ATA adapter. You can use the phone on desktop pc or (if I am not mistaken) iphone / ipod app. I have made an account with them on Whistle - Free Phone Calls to Anyone in the U.S. and got my atlanta number for free. All you have to do is dial a USA number and listen to a 15 second advertisement, then you are connected and you can talk for as long as you want. I went a step ahead and programmed my sip credentials on a pap2, linksys ATA adapter.
sv3_11.jpg

now I connect the adapter to my router and connect a regular phone to the adapter.
img3.JPG

Boom, you have a free phone which can receive incoming calls and make out going calls without having the computer on or even connected to the system.
Move over magicjack and bye bye skype, but hello whistlephone.

I went another step ahead and put my whistlephone number in googlevoice phone and now I receive all my google voice calls on my whistlephone. Completely free phone. You can put in some money in whistlephone account and make dirt cheap calls to all over the world.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
linksys pap2 adapters are sold in DR for good price. It has to be pap2-na model, because its unlocked from factory. There are normal pap2 vonage adapters which are unlocked but if a vonage adapter was used for vonage service then its almost impossible to unlock it. So do not hit ebay and buy a vonage used ata linksys adapter, because it will not work. You can use many other types of ata adapters but the configuration process is a bit different and I find linksys to be perfect for DR internet systems. If the internet disconnects from dsl then linksys will automatically reconnect and turn on, while some other ata boxes just stay disconnected until you reset them manually (disconnect and reconnect the power).
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so if you have a family in DR and you want to talk to them, then just make an account with whistlephone, configure it on ata adapter and send it to DR to have it connected to router. Now you have a phone that will ring in DR with local american number, They can also pick up the phone and call you in USA.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I signed up and got a phone number.

But keep getting the "Call Fail" error most of the time, the Proxy error thing.
Did get it to work a few times.

Don

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I signed up and got a phone number.

But keep getting the "Call Fail" error most of the time, the Proxy error thing.
Did get it to work a few times.

Don

dammit, I am having the same problem. Out going calls are fine, incoming calls are hard to receive. I will investigate more into this matter.
Stay tuned.
AZB

Feb 7, 2007
I posted about whistlephone some time ago. Outgoing calls fine, incoming calls sporadic. I use them as an outbound trunk for calls to USA with my free pbxes.com account

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Rubio, thanks for the links. I am a fan of free calls and cheap voip services. In my free time, I configure and test pap2 ata adapters with various services. Googlevoice+gizmo5+linksys pap2-na= work like magic.
AZB

Ps. If your linksys pap2 has stopped working and acts crazy or you hear a loud buzzing sound. talk to me, I think I can fix it through my ghettos method (cheap).
AZB