• Thread starter Prof. Tiberius Mineola
  • Start date

Camp David Hotel: CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

P

Prof. Tiberius Mineola

There was a recent [2 - 4 weeks ago] post @ the Camp David Hotel, Santiago. I stayed there for a weekend in February. The room rate was 528 Pesos / night/ 2 persons; which I consider reasonable.

When I checked out, I learned that the 528 P price was increased by adding 12% [Itbis], then 5% more, then 10% more - all added charges. For what? No explanations were given. A 528 P/night room became a 677 P/night room; ie 150 P more. If anyone intends to stay @ this hotel [& it's far from a bad hotel], I suggest you inquire @ the total bill, including all extra charges.

Food for thought: do all guests, Dominican & foreigner, pay the extra 27%? Or just foreigners? Just asking!

C

Charlie W.

23% tax is the standard add-on in Santo Domingo for a hotel room. This seems to be quite high, in that hotel rooms are most usually taxed under 15% per night. It could be a mindset by the Dominican government since they know that most Dominicans cannot not afford to stay in a hotel, so they go ahead and tax-gouge the foreigners and tourists. I would venture that tourism would increase in the country, even more, if the goverment would stop tax bleeding its guests.

H

hillbilly

Taxes! Damn taxes....

The 12 % ITEBIS you must know about. The government has recently (January) increased it reach to include most services such as hotels. The 5% is the government room tax and the 10% is the hotel service charge (tip).
When I asked them the price of a room they told me it was RD$695, taxes included.

I agree that it is a great place to stay, perhaps the best vistas in the country.

HB