Cholera Update in DR/PP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoa3c

Dec 12, 2010
I just read on one site that there have been 300 cases of cholera so far. A few in the Puerto Plata region in an unnamed village. Anyone hear of people getting ill? Does anyone know where resorts get their water or how they treat their sewage? I'm suspecting sewage is flushed directing into the ocean :p.
Thanks, Arlette

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
What?

Conchman, I find your reply totally irresponsible.

Please use extra caution. Do not swim in the rivers or eat raw foods at the beach and more.

And yes some rivers used as toilets flush into the ocean. I am unaware of what the resorts do with sewage or drinking water.

Jul 4, 2010
DR cholera cases seem suspiciously understated at slightly over 300. But just consider that at a private party in a Casa de Campo villa, 200 guests, flown in from abroad, out of a total of about 400 guests returned to their countries of origin infected with cholera.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I just read on one site that there have been 300 cases of cholera so far. A few in the Puerto Plata region in an unnamed village. Anyone hear of people getting ill? Does anyone know where resorts get their water or how they treat their sewage? I'm suspecting sewage is flushed directing into the ocean :p.
Thanks, Arlette

not a village but a neighbourhood, really. el javillar, right next to costambar and very far from playa dorada. both victims died.

i second conchman: don't be so worried. just take simple precautions - do not eat anything raw and always use antibacterial wash for hands.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The same thing happens in the UK - Jehovas Witnesses refusing blood transfusions for their kids - how do people get that screwed in the head????
Stupidity and Religion can be a disastrous combination.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My Dad is a paediatrician and he has been in that situation. At least in the UK the child can be made a ward of court. Not sure what happens in these cases here.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Conchman, I find your reply totally irresponsible.

Please use extra caution. Do not swim in the rivers or eat raw foods at the beach and more.

And yes some rivers used as toilets flush into the ocean. I am unaware of what the resorts do with sewage or drinking water.

Sorry, just telling the truth, I have never met anyone in my life, who got Malaria or Cholera, after living here for eight years. Its a fact. And I do get out but I dont sleep outside or drink crappy water.

The point I am trying to make is that unless you live in Haiti, sleep in the bush, or drink river water, your chance of contracting these diseases are extremely low.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The same thing happens in the UK - Jehovas Witnesses refusing blood transfusions for their kids - how do people get that screwed in the head????
Stupidity and Religion can be a disastrous combination.

A friend of mine past away like that while I was growing up (we were around 14-15). His parent were Jehovah Witnessed and they refused the blood transfusion. It happened in France, but he was from Haitian descent.

It is very hard to comprehend :(

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I am all for the truth

Cholera (or Asiatic cholera or epidemic cholera) is an extreme diarrheal disease caused by the bacterium Vibrio cholerae. Transmission to humans is by ingesting contaminated water or food. The major reservoir for cholera was long assumed to be humans, but some evidence suggests that it is the aquatic environment.

V. cholerum is a Gram-negative bacteria which produces cholera toxin, an enterotoxin, whose action on the mucosal epithelium lining of the small intestine is responsible for the characteristic massive diarrhea of the disease. In its most severe forms, cholera is one of the most rapidly fatal illnesses known?a healthy person may become hypotensive within an hour of the onset of symptoms and may die within 2-3 hours if no treatment is provided. More commonly, the disease progresses from the first liquid stool to shock in 4-12 hours, with death following in 18 hours to several days without rehydration treatment.

I would suspect the operative sentence is "a healthy person may become hypotensive within an hour of the onset of symptoms and may die within 2-3 hours if no treatment is provided."

Oh and I do not mind a well balanced reply, but yours was one sided, just as this is.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Since this outbreak is fairly recent,no need to focus on past years .
Be super careful now !
Manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I would suspect the operative sentence is "a healthy person may become hypotensive within an hour of the onset of symptoms and may die within 2-3 hours if no treatment is provided."
Oh and I do not mind a well balanced reply, but yours was one sided, just as this is.

yes, but this kind of reaction is rare, isn't it? one can get adverse reaction to a daily medicine and kick the bucket within minutes.

i say there is no reason to panic because of cholera.

Status
Not open for further replies.