Full ATM's at SDQ airport?

Stereo56

Jan 16, 2011
Hola,

We're flying into Las Americas International Airport (Santo Domingo) around 2230 on a Saturday night. We'd like to get Dominican dollars (pesos) upon arrival but wonder if the ATM's in the airport are likely to still have money at that time of day. (When we traveled in Guatemala, there were times when the ATM's ran out of currency.) We'll only need to draw about 4000 or fewer pesos.

We could also get pesos at the US airports but the exchange rate and fees are ridiculous.

Also, what is the current taxi rate from the airport into the Gazcue section of Santo Domingo? Is the fare negotiable (in English) at that time of night? Our Spanish is limited though we'll try to hard to speak it while there.

Thank you for your help.

E

engineerfg

1. Yes there are 4 or 5 ATM's, not likely that all 4 ATM's run out. the ATM's are to the right after you come out of arrivals, but still inside the building (in the food court).

2. It's about 45$ not really negotiable. the taxi's are to the left outside the arrivals level, in a line up, don't accept the offer of transport from random people.

3. It's about 90% safe when you arrive, but just be smart, don't have too much luggage, don't look richer than an NFL player etc. if you're an important person with lots of money in your suitcase, then call ahead of time and arrange for a pickup...

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
ATM? There is a bank next to the food court before the taxi stand.

They are not open at 22:30. So the OP needs the ATM locations; which are very easy to locate on the opposite wall of the exit terminal hall upon exiting the gate.

To the OP;

You'll pass through a funnel which curves away to the left from the gate towards the main exit; at the top of the curve you should stop and should look for the ATM's at your 4 o'clock; range about 30 yards.

If at that time of the night the funnel is not in place then shoot for 12 o'clock coming from the doors of the gate; range about 50 yards.

Please arrange a pick-up through a trusted driver beforehand at that time of night. Call either the hotel or the people your staying with to have them arrange this.

It will be better to drive with a known driver who is known to you or your hosts, because of safety both in traffic and otherwise. With a 'random' taxista you never know what you're gonna get (not that they are all crooks).

If all ATM's run out of pesos the driver should be able to swing by ATM's in the city. I've found those on Av Maximo Gomez to hold currency at most times of the day or night; they are close to Gazcue and some are drive through.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
taxi's in las americas

2. It's about 45$ not really negotiable. the taxi's are to the left outside the arrivals level, in a line up, don't accept the offer of transport from random people.

I paid about 1200/peso(~$33) 2 weeks ago. From las americas to gazcue (back of the jaragua)

Please arrange a pick-up through a trusted driver beforehand at that time of night. Call either the hotel or the people your staying with to have them arrange this.

It will be better to drive with a known driver who is known to you or your hosts, because of safety both in traffic and otherwise. With a 'random' taxista you never know what you're gonna get (not that they are all crooks).

arent some of the drivers there part of the airport or a taxi company? i walked out saw a driver. When i went to negotiate price(in spanish) he told me to talk to the boss. We walked over to the left about 10 yards from the entrance/exit and there was a kiosk with his boss, and we negotiated price.

Merengue is still right. Your best bet is to talk to your hotel, and have them send a driver. you will pay a little more but it takes away the stress of finding a reliable driver, negotiating price, and safety.

Last edited:

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
If all ATM's run out of pesos the driver should be able to swing by ATM's in the city. I've found those on Av Maximo Gomez to hold currency at most times of the day or night; they are close to Gazcue and some are drive through.

i always go to the jaragua, or la cadena if it is open to use the ATM machines. BTW the taxi drivers will accept any currency you give them. Get the price of the driver beforehand, and bring that cash for them. You can use your credit card at most restaurants that 1st night. Dont use your native currency because they will give you a bad rate.

In the morning you can arrange with your hotel manager to exchange currency you tell them how much and they will deliver. I usually get between 37.1dop to 37.35dop for $1.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I paid about 1200/peso(~$33) 2 weeks ago. From las americas to gazcue (back of the jaragua)

arent some of the drivers there part of the airport or a taxi company? i walked out saw a driver. When i went to negotiate price(in spanish) he told me to talk to the boss. We walked over to the left about 10 yards from the entrance/exit and there was a kiosk with his boss, and we negotiated price.

Merengue is still right. Your best bet is to talk to your hotel, and have them send a driver. you will pay a little more but it takes away the stress of finding a reliable driver, negotiating price, and safety.

You are correct and during the day this would be less of an issue. My worry is that at that time of night there will be no supervision and not all taxis will be organised ones.

My advice is based on maximum security, things are not as they once where. I had a family member robbed 8 days ago after being picked from the airport by her brother. The thugs must have followed them home.

While it is certainly possible, paying at night at the hotel with your creditcard brings another set of fraud opportunities. Again for maximum security, I would prefer to get cash from a guarded bank as those on Maximo Gomez.

Stereo56

Jan 16, 2011
How to identify the "organized" taxis?

Wonderful, valuable, detailed advice. An added bit of worry after reading about the robbery; we will be wary but not paranoid (as we always try to be during our travels). How do we identify the "organized" taxis? We very much appreciate the help. We arrive tomorrow!

Stereo56

Jan 16, 2011
Correction.

Sorry, I missed one of your posts the first time I read through the series, Merengue. We'll call our hotel in the morning in hopes of arranging for a trusted ride. Thank you.