Tethering your Blackberry Orange to your laptop?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tethering your Blackberry with Orange service? or using your Blackberry modem with your laptop.

Has anyone tried this? and what are the pros and cons? My sixteen year old son suggested that I try this. (The kids know more then we do)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Tethering as in?? What are you trying to accomplish? I'm lost too...
I canceled my Internet service with Codetel, I was paying RD$5000.00 a month for 1.5 KPS download speed and never used the land line phone. So I thought I'd switch over to Puerto Plata cable Internet because the cost for same service is less then half the $5000.00 pesos. My 16 year old son overheard me asking my wife when the Installation would take place so he intervened and said that I could just use my Blackberry as a modem and use it for my laptop.

So I figured I'd look into it.

Reactions: miloskorac

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Send a PM to Rocky - I never knew this was possible, but I watched him use a blackberry to connect to the internet on a laptop last weekend..... He knows his way around computers ;)

AE

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Tethering you're Blackberry with Orange service? or using you're Blackberry modem with you're laptop.

Has anyone tried this? and what are the pro's and cons? My sixteen year old son suggested that I try this. (The kids know more then we do)

My daughter in Samana has been using blackberry,with claro, as modem for months....I dropped the banda ancha I had with Claro...I also use my iphone 3g as a modem here in the capital,and my friend recently started using his iphone 3gs in Juan Dolia as a modem....they all work great.

iphone 3gs already has internet tethering built in to os 4.2.1.
blackberry has it built in to its newer software update I did for my daughter in samana.
just plug in phone with usb cable
ble to computer,computer will recognize the modem....
bob

Feb 7, 2007

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
anybody knows where to download an app for iphone 4 from Orange to use tethering.

your iphone 4 should already be set up for that...go to settings,general,network...near the bottom is a switch that says internet tethering,switch to on....just plug into your laptop,it should recognize.iphone as modem.
bob

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
only with Claro, not with orange. I myself own a claro iphone and it has standard tethering in it. My friend now has an orange iphone. He called to Orange and told him that it is blocked and he needs to download an app from the store. But i can not find it.

Feb 7, 2007
You would need Blackberry Handheld Manager which is part of Blackberry Desktop Manager to connect to the Internet with Blackberry as a modem. According to what I read in multiple sources you do not need "activation" of anything with Orange if you use Blackberry desktop manager.

For tethering BB to your laptop read here
The idiot?s guide to using your BlackBerry as a modem | BBGeeks and
Use your BlackBerry as a modem - How-to - Techworld.com

I stand corrected because you do need activation with Orange via SMS. If not, your APN settings will work but you may be charged for Orange Net instead of using your BB Full plan traffic. I figured this out the hard way, I have activated BB Full on Orange, and APN was working great on BB, I also activated streaming and tethering via SMS, working great. Then I put my Orange SIM card into another phone and used Orange Net APN...but I was CHARGED for that, in spite of having BB Full and not being charged for using APN on BB. The "activation" somehow links your phone IMEI into the Internet settings and allows that phone to use APN at no charge. I thought APN was on per-SIM basis not per-IMEI-and-SIM basis, but with Orange, you better do the way they ask to do things.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
only with Claro, not with orange. I myself own a claro iphone and it has standard tethering in it. My friend now has an orange iphone. He called to Orange and told him that it is blocked and he needs to download an app from the store. But i can not find it.

Does this mean you can't tether with orange service?
I have unlocked HTC Sensation and I am planing to activate it with Orange next week and it has app built in...
I will be disappointed if I wasn't able to use my phone as modem in emergency cases.
Please advise...

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Does this mean you can't tether with orange service?
I have unlocked HTC Sensation and I am planing to activate it with Orange next week and it has app built in...
I will be disappointed if I wasn't able to use my phone as modem in emergency cases.
Please advise...
While I am referring to BlackBerry and not HTC, you should read this report to understand the situation: http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/122477-orange-blackberry-full-tethering-streaming.html

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I stand corrected because you do need activation with Orange via SMS. If not, your APN settings will work but you may be charged for Orange Net instead of using your BB Full plan traffic. I figured this out the hard way, I have activated BB Full on Orange, and APN was working great on BB, I also activated streaming and tethering via SMS, working great. Then I put my Orange SIM card into another phone and used Orange Net APN...but I was CHARGED for that, in spite of having BB Full and not being charged for using APN on BB. The "activation" somehow links your phone IMEI into the Internet settings and allows that phone to use APN at no charge. I thought APN was on per-SIM basis not per-IMEI-and-SIM basis, but with Orange, you better do the way they ask to do things.
While I am now happily using my BB 9300 as a modem with Orange, we are getting to understand it is restricted to the particular BB under contract, and that non-BB smartphones can't be tethered "for free" with Orange...
Am I correct ?

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Orange does not allow tethering (using bb as modem) with bb prepago plans, if you are on contract plan you have to send a text to 3500 to activate.

Claro does allow tethering with bb prepago plans & contract plus the speeds are much faster, I usually get 3 MB down/1 up when using claro prepago plan.

Also you will need the blackberry desktop manager software installed on pc which is free.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What is the minimum monthly fee to have this plan? Is this the plan that charges 30 pesos per day only when data is used? Will your number be cancelled if the phone is not used for a few months? What is the best phone to buy to take full advantage of the tethering? I assume there must be a way to tether into a a wireless router.
thanks
Claro does allow tethering with bb prepago plans & contract plus the speeds are much faster, I usually get 3 MB down/1 up when using claro prepago plan.

Also you will need the blackberry desktop manager software installed on pc which is free.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
What is the minimum monthly fee to have this plan? Is this the plan that charges 30 pesos per day only when data is used? Will your number be cancelled if the phone is not used for a few months? What is the best phone to buy to take full advantage of the tethering? I assume there must be a way to tether into a a wireless router.
thanks

Yes it is the bb prepago social or full internet plan you can pay 1, 7, 15 or 30 days.

Yes the number will be cancelled if you do not use it for so many months, but the easy fix is just to add $5 to the phone using ezetop.com you can do it from any where in the world and the phone does not need to be physically in DR to recharge.

Blackberry is the best and easiest because the data is compressed, compared to say a iphone or android that is why the data plans are much cheaper for BB instead of other smart phones. However I have also used my iphone as a modem too using the bb plan :)

If you are bring a phone from the usa to use with claro I highly recommend an att phone as they use the same frequency and you will get great coverage with 3G from claro. Tmobile is second choice but you will only get EDGE (much slower than 3G) speeds.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Yes it is the bb prepago social or full internet plan you can pay 1, 7, 15 or 30 days.

Yes the number will be cancelled if you do not use it for so many months, but the easy fix is just to add $5 to the phone using ezetop.com you can do it from any where in the world and the phone does not need to be physically in DR to recharge.

Blackberry is the best and easiest because the data is compressed, compared to say a iphone or android that is why the data plans are much cheaper for BB instead of other smart phones. However I have also used my iphone as a modem too using the bb plan :)

If you are bring a phone from the usa to use with claro I highly recommend an att phone as they use the same frequency and you will get great coverage with 3G from claro. Tmobile is second choice but you will only get EDGE (much slower than 3G) speeds.

thanks! any recommendation on a model phone or the best location in Santiago to activate?