La Vega or Bonao on Valentines Day

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
I would like to spend a couple of days this Sunday/Monday in either La Vega or Bonao. What is their to do on those days (The Monday is Valentines). Any good hotel located close to a riverside? Good local disco? I know we are close to Carnaval, anything special happening this Sunday in La Vega? Thanks

Nov 25, 2008
sunday is carnaval La Vega is best, and Bonao their is nothing to do, unless you are member of the club and you have a pool to use

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
In Bonao there is NOTHING to do. They have a real nice hotel though Aquarius. So if you dont have any lady friends nor any friends it is a hole in the wall place to be, especially on the weekend. It makes Mayberry look like Chicago.

La Vega will have Carnaval on Sunday.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks Jorge and racerX. Ok, so it looks like La Vega is the place to be. I have read in a previous thread favourably about Hotel Rey in LaVega. Any other good hotels to stay at? Any river close by? Any Restaurants that come recommended? Any places in town I should visit? By the way, I will not be solo I will have company with me. Thanks

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks Jorge and racerX. Ok, so it looks like La Vega is the place to be. I have read in a previous thread favourably about Hotel Rey in LaVega. Any other good hotels to stay at? Any river close by? Any Restaurants that come recommended? Any places in town I should visit? By the way, I will not be solo I will have company with me. Thanks

Have you considered Jarabacoa?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Across from Hotel Rey is an outdoor steakhouse/Parillada...the food's decent and reasonable and they have have live music. I think the Rey is pretty much the only decent hotel in town. Macao Grill near the park in the center of town has pretty good pizza. There's a place on the main road off the highway that's famous for it's ribs (costillas) but I can't remember the name....if you ask any Vegano they'll tell you though...

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Have you considered Jarabacoa?

Well it was a possibility but I looked at a map and it seemed a little more off the main highway. Figured I would take baby steps and I could explore further on a second trip. Am I right about it being a little less accessible?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Well it was a possibility but I looked at a map and it seemed a little more off the main highway. Figured I would take baby steps and I could explore further on a second trip. Am I right about it being a little less accessible?
You are correct, it is further off the main highway but a straight easy drive once you exit the highway.

Hotel Gran Jimenoa ///// Oficial WebSite

HOTEL PINAR DORADO - The Hotel Pinar Dorado is just minutes away from downtown Jarabacoa and our Adventure Center Rancho Baiguate. Whether you come to relax or want to spend a romantic time with your spouse or stay over during your Adventure Tours, P

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, the photos on Hotel Gran Jimenoa's website looks like a place to spend my weekend. Will have to do a little more research on the old threads about Jarabacoa. Thanks guys, keep the help coming.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bonao will also have carnival processions on the Sunday. It's not on the scale of La Vega but that isn't such a bad thing. :)

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
Thanks all, I did make it to La Vega for the carnival this past Sunday. However I stayed at Hotel Platino in Santiago and a friend of a friend took us there. I do thank you all for your help..I'm sure I'll put it to better use soon. By the way La Vega carnival was interesting but I really couldn't get used to getting my butt hit on the regular, took...(very different from say Trinidad carnival in the West Indies)