Boat named "SPIKS" almost hit by whale!

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Yesterday I went Whale Watching from Miches in the Bay of Samana to check how things are going.
Communication is fairly good between the boats and the maximum time of watching (=harassing) the whale(s) is about 20minutes.

There was a mother and her calf and there were 2 boats.

Then a boat named "SPIKS" came way too close and both whales
disappeared. After 10 seconds the mother came out of the water with the intention of hitting "SPIKS" with her tail but missed with 3 feet to spare...2 more attempts were made before she calmed down.

According to the captain these kinds of assholes are there every year to seriously disturb the whales for their own videos and photos. I am happy I don't wear a gun because I would have fired upon them...considering the fact I was a sharpshooter; they were "lucky assholes"!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday I went Whale Watching from Miches in the Bay of Samana to check how things are going.
Communication is fairly good between the boats and the maximum time of watching (=harassing) the whale(s) is about 20minutes.

There was a mother and her calf and there were 2 boats.

Then a boat named "SPIKS" came way too close and both whales
disappeared. After 10 seconds the mother came out of the water with the intention of hitting "SPIKS" with her tail but missed with 3 feet to spare...2 more attempts were made before she calmed down.

According to the captain these kinds of assholes are there every year to seriously disturb the whales for their own videos and photos. I am happy I don't wear a gun because I would have fired upon them...considering the fact I was a sharpshooter; they were "lucky assholes"!

It would seem that the mother took care of things. Let's hope that they got the sh*t scare of their lives and stay further away in the future.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I wonder if it's the same mother and calf that I saw on Tuesday on the Whale Samana tour.

I'm guessing the captain of the boat decided that the whale watching rules are for everyone else and not for him. (I wonder if he's a truck driver the rest of the year.) Too bad he doesn't understand that the rules are for the protection of the human beings as much as for the protection of the whales.

Hopefully, the local authorities will deal with the situation. I got the sense that tourism, including whale watching, is taken very seriously in Samana, and the last thing the local leaders want is bad press about a whale calf being injured by a boat or a boatload of people being injured by an angry mother.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What an interesting reaction: Magnificent and violent.

And it was exactly the SAME WAY I felt many years ago when I saw something similar!!

A$$ holes like that should be sunk.

HB