How is the internet in Jarabacoa?

bangumbo

Jan 13, 2011
Is it in and out all the time, or mostly consistent? what kind of speeds can you get there? also, 24hr power?

Thanks, b

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's OK. We have 1.5m/756k. Works most of the time with an occasional slowdown for a day or two. I don't know what the max spped you can get is.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
24 hour power is your own responsibility, as is your security, as is your water supply. if Cobraboy says it's OK most of the time, bank on it.

russ_offord

Jun 6, 2007
blog.jarabacoa.org
Faster DSL Internet Service Now Available in Jarabacoa in 2012.

Hi All,

I know this is an OLD thread... but it is worth updating with some new info for 2012/2013.

Claro now has up to 20mb download speeds in certain areas closer to the central office.

I personally know that Doulos Discovery School in the Avenida Confluencia had 20 megs of internet about a year ago (as I was their network administrator at the time) but more recently they reduced it to 15mb because they were not using the bandwidth. I was told by the new tech that he thinks 10mb would be fine.

In other parts of the city I know there are some businesses with 3 or 4 megabytes down who are considering upgrading to 6 megs.

Here in my brand new Jarabacoa Internet cafe, 'RD Centro', we started with 2mb download / 512 kb upload, but we will most likely double that speed soon as business picks up. (We had a very busy first week last week while offering a free 30min. to any student walking by!)

Russ Offord

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Any update on this, is there stable 20mb+ available from claro close to downtown in Jarabacoa?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It depends on where in Jarabacoa. Fiber is available in a small area on Av. La Confluencia. I understand that is an experiment of sorts.

Areas close to the central servers can get 20mb, but that is also a small area.

We have 8mb/2mb which overall is solid. However, there are periods if high demand (like last night as I was trying to upload a HD video) where there just isn't enough bandwidth. Last night the ping was 473, .23 down and .1 up. Pathetic, and there isn't anything Claro can do about it except add more bandwidth. This morning, ping 11, 7.5/1.9, pretty much normal.

I hope fiber becomes available on a wider basis.