Mr. Matilda's Hand Carved Wooden Animals

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last weekend we went to Sosua to attend Drro's birthday bash, and met a bunch of DR1ers there. Since many of us there initially met in DR1's Chat Room, it was an easy and comfy evening, and lots of fun!

A few weeks ago I found out that Matilda's husband has a 'hobby' of woodcarving. Since my husband is on a rooster kick [don't ask - suffice it to say it's our decorating theme in our DR house. Dishes, cups, canister set, cookie jar, vase, you get the idea], I asked Matilda if he did roosters. Wow, does he do roosters!!! What talent! They brought us a selection to choose from, and it was hard to choose. We bought a big one - maybe 18" tall - at a VERY reasonable price. The carving is beautiful, as is the paint job. We got back to our house on the south coast on Monday, and everyone who comes into our house makes a fuss over the rooster, he's a hit with everyone from the family to neighbors and the caretakers.

At the hotel we stayed at in Puerto Plata there was a vendor one evening selling similar ones. The guy wanted about 50% more for one HALF the size and nowhere close to as nice.

I asked Matilda to e-mail me photos of what else he's done - what an array: big and small roosters, guinea hens, birds, dogs, you name it. Even a man playing a tambora. Some in mahogany.

PM her if you're interested, I'm sure she'd e-mail the photos to anyone who is interested. Just beautiful!

AE

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
They really are lovely and I have some too plus a very special large elephant which was a gift. Thought you would like to see some pics from the range which are hand carved and painted or in natural mahogany - contact Matilda for availability as AlterEgo recommended.

2wexwcm.jpg

29niid0.jpg

28u3gd5.jpg

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
And I am the proud recipient of two parrots on a perch - like in the pix - plus a flamingo which I love and two standing parrots! It's like they always lived here - have the perfect spot for all.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
beautifully done, I will come to visit and see what I can buy when I arrive in the DR.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Matilda,

Why not put up a website to attract admirers and buyers?

The quality is there.