Do I need a two way ticket?

artvega

Dec 28, 2010
Hi,
I'm going to be arriving in a couple of weeks to Santo Domingo, but I'd like to ask if a return ticket is needed or if a one way ticket would be enough? I'm going to be working in DR, I already have a signed job offer from an international company that is located in there and will apply for the residency as soon as I get there, which the company lawyers will help me with.

Thanks for your help.

/Arturo

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Round Trip Ticket

Hi:

First of all where are you flying in from? Normally is you are coming to the DR from the States and you are not a resident or citizen of the DR they will require you to have a return reservation. I have had to do this however you can ask the agent to please note in the computer reservation that you can go and change the date at a later time with no charge or penalty to you. You could also get a letter from your employer in the DR showing that you will be in the DR for an extended period of time and possibly the airlines would let you slide. I would talk to the customer service of the airline that you have the reservation on and see what they require.

D

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A return ticket is a normal requirement if you are not a resdient or a citizen. Sometimes they do not check. BUT, If you do need to get a return ticket, simply purchase a fully refundable return ticket and then get a refund after you arrive in the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hi,
I'm going to be arriving in a couple of weeks to Santo Domingo, but I'd like to ask if a return ticket is needed or if a one way ticket would be enough? I'm going to be working in DR, I already have a signed job offer from an international company that is located in there and will apply for the residency as soon as I get there, which the company lawyers will help me with.

Thanks for your help.

/Arturo

Since you seem to have documentation, it would be worth checking with the airlines to see if will accept that in lieu of a return ticket.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Technically non-residents/non-citizens of the DR are supposed to purchase RT tickets. But since the advent of electronic ticketing, no one seems to check anymore.

I have a friend that frequently travels to the DR and always buys one-way tickets. He has never had a problem. He travels on AA, CO, and JetBlue.

In the rare case where they do check, you could buy a refundable return ticket and request a refund when you land in the DR.

Reactions: Bronxboy

artvega

Dec 28, 2010
Thanks for your responses guys. I will be flying by AA from Miami (although my trip originates from Monterrey, Mexico, then Dallas, Miami and finally Sto Domingo). I will bring the letter of employment with me, but nevertheless I will still check with AA.

As I will be arriving on a saturday at night with no dominican pesos on me, are money exchange shops on the airport open late? are their rates ok?

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
there are money exchange places just before you exit into the arrival hall of the airport.

Current exchange rate is hovering between 37.50 and 37.60 pesos to a dollar.

Good luck..

HB

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
How late are you arriving? the exchange places aren't open all night. There are ATM machines in the same area where you can get pesos, and if push comes to shove, airport taxis should take US dollars.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
See recent threads on this subject and those that have been stopped and had to buy a return ticket.

In November at EWR (Continental) they would not issue me a boarding card until they had seen my residency card.

Jan 17, 2009
I have been able to travel with no return ticket on AA for several years now. Only once I was required to show how and when I was exiting the DR, and that was 4 years ago. Luckily at the time I had purchased a ticket going to South America later on that year.

It's even easier now that you can get your boarding pass online, and only go to the counter to leave your luggage. But you're flying from Mexico. That may be a whole different story.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I've flown maybe a dozen times in the past two years with AA without any issue in your current scenario (without residency).

I took a personal trip with jetblue in decemeber '10 and had to purchase a return flight, I didn't realize this "rule" actually existed and the clerk was surprised AA had never questioned me.

Just my two cents :)

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Seems to depend on the airline. I fly between the DR and the US about every 6-8 weeks and have never had to show proof of my departure from the DR. I fly primarily on AA but also on Delta and United.