Special baby water (for formulas) Scam?

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
All new mothers, at least the ones I know in San Cristobal, buy this special baby water for their infants to make formula with. They say that the 5Gal. bottled water is not good enough. Is this a scam?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes a scam. Regular bottled water is fine to use. Someone is making lots of $$$$ on "new moms"

Bob K

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
We changed 4 or 5 types of "special baby waters" without any result - all the times our baby had stomach problems. Now we boil for 10 min every "baby water" and seems that works. Don't belive the labels, just boil the water.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Most people use Orbis for mixing formula rather than regular botell?n water. Better be safe than sorry.

Of course, the best way to prevent problems is to breastfeed and not use formula at all!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not a mother :) but i sell "special baby water". it goes out well, both orbis and planeta azul.
but seeing how many small brats are there in the area my guess is that most just use normal water (5 gallon bottle), possibly boiled. does not seem to do them any harm.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Boiling may be effective in preventing sickness from bacterial or viral organisms, but does little in preventing illness from other contaminations. Infants are very sensitive to contamination from heavy metals, lead in particular. These can lead to severe neurological problems. With the number of cases through the years of (5 gal.) bottled water companies being shut down due to contamination, I would be careful. See: http://www.dr1.com/forums/environment/56257-bottled-water-plants-shut-down-nov-6th06.html

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
dv8 wrote:
i am not a mother but i sell "special baby water". it goes out well, both orbis and planeta azul.

I am not familiar with orbis, but I'm pretty sure that planeta azul is a regular water company that sells the 5 gal. variety. How do they say their "special baby water" is different than the regular aqua? :ermm:

Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dan, 30 years ago when our children were born, we were told to mix ONLY with Aqua Orbis. It's sold in supermarkets in the baby food aisle, as well as in farmacias. It's a distinctive blue gallon bottle. When our grandsons came here, it was still recommended, and that's what we used each time.

I'm sure there are many babies who have done just fine on other waters here, but I wouldn't ever take a chance with my family over a few cents.

Recently the government has issued warnings about some bottled water sold in DR. I've been told to only buy Crystal or Planeta Azul for adult consumption/cooking/washing veggies, etc.

AE

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Dan, 30 years ago when our children were born, we were told to mix ONLY with Aqua Orbis. It's sold in supermarkets in the baby food aisle, as well as in farmacias. It's a distinctive blue gallon bottle. When our grandsons came here, it was still recommended, and that's what we used each time.

I'm sure there are many babies who have done just fine on other waters here, but I wouldn't ever take a chance with my family over a few cents.

Recently the government has issued warnings about some bottled water sold in DR. I've been told to only buy Crystal or Planeta Azul for adult consumption/cooking/washing veggies, etc.

AE

You are right Orbis is the water my mom used for me and the same one I used for my kids.
It comes in a green plastic 1 galon cont...

JJ