Canadian story about superbugs in the Supermarket and CHicken

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
This is from a CBC marketplace ( Canadian ) story about antibiotic resistant bacteria in chicken.

"Superbugs in the Supermarket
Canadians are becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotics. As a result, people are getting sicker and are taking longer to get well. It is now not uncommon for people to be administered antibiotics through an IV because the usual drugs in pill form can't fight off their infections.

While we've all heard that over-prescription of antibiotics to people is one cause of the resistance, what many Canadians don't know is that another major cause is because the animals we eat are also given large amounts of antibiotics. And not just when they're sick: healthy animals can be fed antibiotics every day because it makes them grow bigger, faster.

In an important story about human health, and the food we eat, Marketplace tests 100 samples of chicken bought at major supermarkets from across the country.

In Superbugs in the Supermarket, we name popular brands, and also reveal surprising information about organic poultry that claims to be raised without antibiotics."

What I always wondered is do they add alot of antibiotics to chickens in Chicken farms in the DR? Is it better or worse than Canada/US?

I've never been to a large chicken farm in the Dr so don't have a clue as to their practices. Does anyone have any information? Tks

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
This is from a CBC marketplace ( Canadian ) story about antibiotic resistant bacteria in chicken.

"Superbugs in the Supermarket
Canadians are becoming increasingly resistant to antibiotics. As a result, people are getting sicker and are taking longer to get well. It is now not uncommon for people to be administered antibiotics through an IV because the usual drugs in pill form can't fight off their infections.

While we've all heard that over-prescription of antibiotics to people is one cause of the resistance, what many Canadians don't know is that another major cause is because the animals we eat are also given large amounts of antibiotics. And not just when they're sick: healthy animals can be fed antibiotics every day because it makes them grow bigger, faster.

In an important story about human health, and the food we eat, Marketplace tests 100 samples of chicken bought at major supermarkets from across the country.

In Superbugs in the Supermarket, we name popular brands, and also reveal surprising information about organic poultry that claims to be raised without antibiotics."

What I always wondered is do they add alot of antibiotics to chickens in Chicken farms in the DR? Is it better or worse than Canada/US?

I've never been to a large chicken farm in the Dr so don't have a clue as to their practices. Does anyone have any information? Tks

If living in the DR why would you like to buy chickens from a chicken farms!

If you are in the DR buy free range chicken or raise your own chicken, it is more healthy. Go and visit a friend to a "Campo", i'll bet he'll give you a couple of wild chickens, and they taste delicious.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my father in law has few fincas for mass production, no chickens, cows. they are kept outside on a huge piece of land, all au naturel. they do get meds for parasites and vacunas.
but i have seen pollenas in here and they are tight, small places. chicken is cheap meat and so the production has to be cheap...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is common practice to give chickens here all types of drugs but from what I've been told by a local breeder is that they give them more drugs still in the US. The time market from hatching is 37 days.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The arrival of "superbugs" resistant to treatment due to the over usage of antibiotics has been predicted for years. It appears that time is upon us.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
If the meat, chicken, or whatever, is cooked properly, any bacteria is killed regardless. Just cook your food, and use proper handling techniques in the kitchen for all foods, (wash hands, no cross-contamination).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If the meat, chicken, or whatever, is cooked properly, any bacteria is killed regardless. Just cook your food, and use proper handling techniques in the kitchen for all foods, (wash hands, no cross-contamination).

The issue here is the producers of the meat feed their livestock antibiotics; therefore no amount of cooking will diminish the fact that you will be eating those same antibiotics.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The issue here is the producers of the meat feed their livestock antibiotics; therefore no amount of cooking will diminish the fact that you will be eating those same antibiotics.

Bingo. Goes for antibiotics and hormones as well.