SCAMS in DR.. Do tell. LOL

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
Just thought Id start a post so people could write about the latest scams. Hopefully, this will generate some good reading material. If someone tried to pull a fast one on you, tell the rest of us.

Condorito

Aug 2, 2010
If so much your energy is being spent on guarding yourself from Dominicans, would not it be better for your peace of mind and well-being to go home?

Now, if you have plenty of time, also start one thread on the massive scam USA banks and Wall Street pulled recently on its citizens . You may add the endless Nigerian scams, Ponzi scheme scams and so on.

Seems the DR ones are just petty cash compared to those, and if someone has one gram of common sense, he or she just dont bite. You can not protect suckers from themselves.

I say: get a life, hit the beach, or do some community work.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One should be more wary of scams from broke foreigners than Dominicans.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
A Dominican in NYC

Didnt happen in D.R. but when i saw it go down i had a laugh.

My friends and I go to Dominican Clubs, and Lounges in NYC. We went to one on Dyckman called 809. It is a good crowd, and we always have fun.

After a fun night of dancing, and drinking we go across the street to get some frituras to soak up some of the whiskey. A Dominican Pan handler is going from group to group and collecting dollars. He goes over to my non-hispanic friends, and asks them to change 5 Dominican Pesos for 5 american dollars. We all immediately started ROFL. The guy insisted that they had equal value. Since he did give us a laugh one of the girls gave him $1.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
A gentleman claiming to be Ethan Dabi has been conning people around Santo Domingo for quite some time. He claims to own an airline and is now searching for people to come work with him expanding his empire to the Dominican Republic. Very convincing, claims to be from Bahamas, with addresses in London also. He has sucked in car rental companies, has conned his way into investors hearts and also gained the trust of landlords who have rented him and his clients properties on tick, then claism to be out of the country of having trouble with clients paying etc.
His angle seems to be to get people to work with him and then gains trust, wines and dines you then heads for investment, once he strikes he is off or the excuses start coming out.
He presently has the police searching for him, several car rental companies, several investors fighting over who owns property he has been found to have bought with thier money, along with some very heavy and not so nice underbelly characters he really shouldn't have messed with.
I truely wouldn't like to be in his shoes when they do catch up with him.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Now, if you have plenty of time, also start one thread on the massive scam USA banks and Wall Street pulled recently on its citizens . You may add the endless Nigerian scams, Ponzi scheme scams and so on.

Seems the DR ones are just petty cash compared to those...

Baninter - US$2.2 Billion, petty cash :)

If you want a good scam, try the progressive roulette that they run here.
Many people have lost US$1,000's playing this scam.

Amare

Feb 8, 2011
part of life

It does not matter where you go. Where there are poor people, there will be creative ways to make money. Even the rich will scam you. Just look at the banks and corporations in the U.S. and Europe. Bottom line is when you have money, someone is always trying to figure out a way to get your money.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The ones I've come across were several years ago, apparently involving prisoners who phone from jail to trick people into getting them phone credit.

One story is to call pretending to be a policeman, telling you your spouse is in custody having killed someone in a traffic accident, and that they need to recharge their cellphone so they can call you.

Another is to phone people who are selling property, claiming to be the brother of a famous baseball player who is interested in buying your property, but just happens to have run out of minutos, so would you please buy an Orange card and give them the number down the phone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
some time ago i saw an ad in adscene about some small dogs to give away, yorkies, i think. since miesposo wants a small doggie i sent email to the address given.
i got back something in line: how lovely of you to be interested, we are poor missionaries somewhere in the heart of africa feeding hungry african orphants, dogs are not feeling good in this weather and we will be happy to send them to you as long as you pay half of the shipping cost estimated at whatever hundred dollars, would you please send us your bank details and the doggies will be yours.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
One should be more wary of scams from broke foreigners than Dominicans.

Have to agree with that. True anywhere on earth where there are "expats".

I always kinda liked this one though ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/81aYE4Ta6iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Have you come across the woman with her blind son outside National on Lincoln. She hit us for a few pesos one evening, my lass refused, I gave her 25pesos, she sort of snuffed at it. As we were walking towards the car I turned around to see her son counting the money from the cup on the sidewalk.
How low would or could you go? Now I give nothing to no one, beggers, kids, shoeshine, I don't tip or leave change, a real tight arse these days and my mind is better for it.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Have to agree with that. True anywhere on earth where there are "expats".

I always kinda liked this one though ...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/81aYE4Ta6iw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think I?ve given this guy money too.:tired:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The biggest two i heard about happened to one foreign couple

first they bought a condo.. then left... then returned in a year to find that the place had been Stripped,,, roof, plumbing ,, everything... then proceeded to find out that the developer had mortgaged the place to the hilt ...

Then this same couple .. who had little Spanish... went to a lawyer for the papers on their new car, to have something official done.. He had them sign over the car to him.. and by the time they left his office, car gone.. title not in their name....

In LT many years ago, there were hundreds of property scams.. places sold without titles, places sold by people who did not own them. One great crook, Rene K......., sold places again and again..

this has calmed down now that there are permits and surveys required...

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
How about the drop dead Chicas that appear shy, innocent...(HA!)..nice, "No problemo"....Si mi amor, and all that crap. Already negotiated a price. Everything's perfect! Wow I hit the jackpot! It's good to be me. bla bla bla. Then when you get to the room. She turns into a full blown, CPA with time Manangement skills that would make a Toyota plant manager blush!! This DOES NOT happen anymore.

But it did..(a few times) during my early years in the DR...

Probably more of a deception, but I would put that in the scam catagory....(subtle...but effective) Might be the most common.

So for all you NEWBIES out there, WATCH OUT!!!!!!!!!

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
ONE NAME= Lars. B.Christiansen....this man is trying to hook ppl into his telemarketing scams here, Ive been told all he does is convinve people to call ppl internationally and ask for credit card info, then when u give it to him the ppl that ordered services such as dish network,direct-tv,etc...never receive the services, lose mooney from there credit cards and the sales people who got the info never see a penny.once the salespeople go looking for there money, they realize they've been scammed and now they are being sough by police for stealling from others credit cards. watch out for Mr.Christiansen, he is here and still working.