A Motorcycle Ride Through the Mountains to Constanza

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The passenger of a recent MotoCaribe rider posted this YouTube on their ride through some of the mountains going to Constanza.

Please note the rider, a veterinarian from NJ, has nearly 40 years riding experience all around the world and has superior skills. He rated this tour segment one of the best in the world. He kept the engine speed between 7,000 and 9500rpms and used very little braking.

Come take a ride on a Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (there is a lot of wind sound in this):

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sqrJ0lDBH3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Nice

Great ride. Sounds like some pretty high RPMs compared to the speed though, I guess he kept it in 3rd or something?? Beautiful road conditions and nice scenery. thx for sharing.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Great ride. Sounds like some pretty high RPMs compared to the speed though, I guess he kept it in 3rd or something?? Beautiful road conditions and nice scenery. thx for sharing.
Keeping the rpm's up keeps the engine in the upper-middle of the powerband and let's the rider use engine compression to slow down going into the curves instead of using brakes. That keeps the weight and COG from shifting all around and allows for superior control, and also allows for much more comfortable lean because the bike feels so much smoother.

Trust me, it takes a "cruiser" a while to "get it" when you're used to low rpm riding. Been there. But when you do, there is no more braking and shifting in curves that makes the rider feel like he's gonna lose control any second. BTW, the redline is 10,500 so it's not being overrevved.

We've had some serious racers/MSF safety instructors on tour, and I've learned a TON from them...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now that is nice. I have never been on that road. The only time I went to Constanza was via the mountain ridge road from Jarabacoa. That was also spectacular on a motorcycle. When the improvements are done on that road it will be fantastic.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Now that is nice. I have never been on that road. The only time I went to Constanza was via the mountain ridge road from Jarabacoa. That was also spectacular on a motorcycle. When the improvements are done on that road it will be fantastic.
Think about this: when the Jarabacoa-El Rio (Constanza) and the Constanza-San Jose de Ocoa roads are done, we'll go that route to the SW instead of the Duarte/Nov. 6 autopistas (with the El Baden cutoff.) Seriously, that may be one of the single greatest motorcycling roads on the entire planet!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
The passenger of a recent MotoCaribe rider posted this YouTube on their ride through some of the mountains going to Constanza.

Please note the rider, a veterinarian from NJ, has nearly 40 years riding experience all around the world and has superior skills. He rated this tour segment one of the best in the world. He kept the engine speed between 7,000 and 9500rpms and used very little braking.

Come take a ride on a Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (there is a lot of wind sound in this):

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sqrJ0lDBH3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I would not recomend that road unless you have a death wish. Did you all see all the curbs and not a single speed limit sign?

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
I would not recomend that road unless you have a death wish. Did you all see all the curbs and not a single speed limit sign?

MR DR

I do assume/presume you have seen other roads in the DR?

BR

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

A road in the DR without speed limits and curves? I will definitely have to alert the government to do something.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It just may be, considering the conditions, the best road in the entire country.

It's a truly amazing ride on a motersickel, one of the best on the planet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Definately a thrilling ride. That bike helped a bit IMO!! Of course they were fortunate that it was mid morning and none of those little Daihatsu trucks so over-loaded with veggies were not coming down the hill two-abreast....might have made for some "puckering" moments... (as the Brits used to say " 'af a pound, 'aypenny" ).

And when the multimillion dollar strip from Jarabacoa is finished, it will be a dream ride!! Lucky bikers...now who would ever say that phrase???? "Lucky bikers???"

HB

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And when the multimillion dollar strip from Jarabacoa is finished, it will be a dream ride!! Lucky bikers...now who would ever say that phrase???? "Lucky bikers???"

HB
I have it from good authority after the Jarabacoa-el Rio road is done, they start on the Constanza-San Jose de Ocoa next.

How awesome would it be to get to the SW by Jarabacoa-Constanza-San Jose de Ocoa???? Bypassing the autopista from La Vega, the El Baden bypass (a pleasant road, however, and the autopista almost all the way to Azua?

Seriously, when done that may be a Top 5-10 motersickeling ride on the planet, equal to The Tail of the Dragon in the states!!