The five least rainy months in Sosua and Puerto Plata region?

FlaviusMaximus

Feb 14, 2011
Please list the five least rainy months from least rain to more rain...from driest month to fifth driest month.... 1), 2), 3), 4), 5)

Last year I came at the end of February and stayed till about March 5th and it rained too much. But is that common? Anyway, make your own list of the month with the driest weather on the north coast as #1 and #2 has more, and #3 has a little more than #2 and onto #5. Some of you will differ with your list but that is fine since I would like to make a list of my own from your lists and see how many agree with each other.

Thank you

1) December?

2) January?

3) etc.?

4) etc.?

5) etc.?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Weather is not as predictable as it once was. This seems to be true everywhere. This year,for example, there were no rainy days in Sosua in January and none so far this month. Is this a rarity, or the start of a new weather pattern?

There is a good likelihood of rainy days during the hurricane season as the weather fronts pass through the general area. But how much and how often varies from year to year.

I don't see what purpose this thread serves, other than provide entertainment for members looking to post something. Even if you manage to assemble a list, anyone who uses it to make vacation plans will have absolutely no guarantee that it will not rain every day of their vacation.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
I have lived in POP for 7 years. The same month year to year, the number and duration of rainy days changes, and can not be predicted. Sorry!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Sometimes it rains - sometimes a little and sometimes for days on end.... there is no climate in the DR, just weather but at least it is always warm!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
When I arrived in the DR 25 years ago, there were definite months of rain. Farmers made their schedule for year around those months, knowing they were the best time to plant.

But those days are long past.

Based on observation while living on the North Coast, one thing I thought was certain was when a bad winter storm went across the US we would have a period of crappy weather. That seemed to be the case every time a major winter storm hit the US. But this year, several severe winter storms have crossed the US in past month or two and there was no change in the weather in Sosua.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
These are figures taken from am armature rain gauge situated between Sosua and Cabarete for the last four years. Last year was one of the wettest years we have measured. These figures are based on rain measurements on a daily basis and we only consider them indicative as it is very difficult to measure the small showers that come through that hardly leave the ground wet.

You need to know that from year to year the monthly rainfall can vary tremendously.
This year to date we have had particularly low rainfall and some wonderful weather.

Month Average Rainfall 2006-2010 - Inches per month Ranking
January 13.75 10
February 8.49 4
March 8.74 5
April 7.44 2
May 7.89 3
June 8.85 6
July 14.00 11
August 4.28 1
September 10.00 7
October 11.9 8
November 14.83 12
December 12.1 9

So August on average is the lowest rainfall month!!1
HTH

Olly

Last edited:

FlaviusMaximus

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks Olly for helping with that. This answers all my questions. When I was there last year it just was a bad weather string of days. If I come this time at the same time it could be different. It looks like February and March are better months on average than December and January. This surprised me but it is a welcome surprise. Thanks again Olly.

Month Average Rainfall 2006-2010 - Inches per month Ranking
January 13.75 10
February 8.49 4
March 8.74 5
April 7.44 2
May 7.89 3
June 8.85 6
July 14.00 11
August 4.28 1
September 10.00 7
October 11.9 8
November 14.83 12
December 12.1 9

Olly

FlaviusMaximus

Feb 14, 2011
These are figures taken from am armature rain gauge situated between Sosua and Cabarete for the last four years. Last year was one of the wettest years we have measured.
Olly

Guys and Gals:

What would you say are the top three cloudiest months in the Sosua region?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I would say the months of March, June, July, and August are usually the least rainy, that statistic about August surprises me. Mini rainy season April/May and then again hard and consistent rain Nov/Dec/Jan