Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Slums taking over PC, Bavaro? Nah!!

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Slums taking over PC, Bavaro? Nah!!

    http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/pov...gion-hoteliers

    I must say I was surprised by the quantity of Haitians in Bavaro after moving to the area in December. I knew there was a strong building force, but didn't expect the full impact that is almost little Haiti.

    I personally have no issue with these slums that are springing up everywhere, my only issue is the noisey bastards starting work at 630am with industrial drilling and so on (although I do know everyone needs to work, so I'm just a bit grumpy).

    They mention reducing the spread of cholera, well, I have ventured through several of the slums and a little education might go further than anything else. I did find myself having to jump over one stream of sh1tty, ****y slosh to another and another to cross what are considered the local pathways. Kids running through them, bikes riding through them etc, a bit nasty and smelly really, not good.

    I witnessed a bus pull up outside the construction site outside my apartment a couple of weeks ago, load a bunch of workers on and take off. The site closed down for 3 days but was up and running again with new workers pronto, until next time.

    I found out later that the Dominican boss employing these guys hadn't paid them for 2 months and they were becoming a bit rowdy, so he shopped them to imigration, tosser eh!! Easy was of getting free labour.

    The squatting is concerning, a lot of Bavaro uninhabited buildings are squatted and in time I expect will become larger communities, but so what, big deal or not?

    It is a tough life for some, I always keep that in mind when on this subject, my point being I see no point in keeping the revolving door revolving, a little education might be better spent, no? Thats is unrealistic though, and I know it.

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Another view.

    I have no doubt that the hoteliers are concerned about the growth of the slums and the Haitian population in Bavaro/P.C. for the reasons stated, but there might also be another side to it.

    The A.I.'s have been pretty much the "only game in town" since P.C. became a popular tourist spot. Recently though, the number of condos available for tourist rentals has multiplied, and the numbers are growing every day. Granted, compared to the already existing numbers of hotel rooms, these condos are a VERY small fraction; but over time that could change and eventually pose credible competition for the tourist dollars.

    Maybe the powers that be are looking into the future, and want to end this before it becomes a problem. Their A.I.'s are built, so they no longer have need for a large Haitian labor force, and if they can eliminate that force, there will be nobody to build the affordable condo units that might be their future competition.

    OR.. then again... maybe they haven't thought of this and are simply trying to keep P.C. "NICE" for the tourists.

    Food for thought, (and conspiracy theories. LOL)

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You're right. Education is the most valuable resource. All the richest countries have a strong educational system. And countries that offer free higher learning have higher GDP's then many Western countries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/pov...gion-hoteliers

    I must say I was surprised by the quantity of Haitians in Bavaro after moving to the area in December. I knew there was a strong building force, but didn't expect the full impact that is almost little Haiti.

    I personally have no issue with these slums that are springing up everywhere, my only issue is the noisey bastards starting work at 630am with industrial drilling and so on (although I do know everyone needs to work, so I'm just a bit grumpy).

    They mention reducing the spread of cholera, well, I have ventured through several of the slums and a little education might go further than anything else. I did find myself having to jump over one stream of sh1tty, ****y slosh to another and another to cross what are considered the local pathways. Kids running through them, bikes riding through them etc, a bit nasty and smelly really, not good.

    I witnessed a bus pull up outside the construction site outside my apartment a couple of weeks ago, load a bunch of workers on and take off. The site closed down for 3 days but was up and running again with new workers pronto, until next time.

    I found out later that the Dominican boss employing these guys hadn't paid them for 2 months and they were becoming a bit rowdy, so he shopped them to imigration, tosser eh!! Easy was of getting free labour.

    The squatting is concerning, a lot of Bavaro uninhabited buildings are squatted and in time I expect will become larger communities, but so what, big deal or not?

    It is a tough life for some, I always keep that in mind when on this subject, my point being I see no point in keeping the revolving door revolving, a little education might be better spent, no? Thats is unrealistic though, and I know it.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amare View Post
    And countries that offer free higher learning have higher GDP's then many Western countries.
    Why you write in American way
    You think people from Europe understand what means GDP?

  5. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    GDP is the abbreviation for "Gross Domestic Product", and refers to the total sum of goods and services that a country produces in a given year. In short... everything that is bought and sold. The term is used pretty universally, even internationally, but the abbreviation might not be familiar to those not exposed to U.S. news media.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Red face I think s/he's Trolling for attention.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptnGlenn View Post
    GDP is the abbreviation for "Gross Domestic Product", and refers to the total sum of goods and services that a country produces in a given year. In short... everything that is bought and sold. The term is used pretty universally, even internationally, but the abbreviation might not be familiar to those not exposed to U.S. news media.
    I think s/he is being sarcastic about not knowing what G.D.P. stands for...

    The term "Troll" comes to mind...

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    24,980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amare View Post
    You're right. Education is the most valuable resource. All the richest countries have a strong educational system. And countries that offer free higher learning have higher GDP's then many Western countries.
    Do you have an example of one these free higher education countries, or are you being sarcastic?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •