Recorded Music

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
What is the situation here in the RD? To broadcast or otherwise play recorded music in public, in the UK a licence and a paid fee is necessary from/to the Performing Rights people, I understand that there is a similar set up in the USA.
Hundreds of stations here seem to broadcast music from all over the world endlessly at all hours. Do they need a licence and do they pay a fee, if so to whom?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
No, I'm not joking, I genuinely want to know the answer to my question.
Yes they pay, even Colmadones blasting music with their big speakers are to pay a tax called "Derecho de autor"

JJ

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What is the situation here in the RD? To broadcast or otherwise play recorded music in public, in the UK a licence and a paid fee is necessary from/to the Performing Rights people, I understand that there is a similar set up in the USA.
Hundreds of stations here seem to broadcast music from all over the world endlessly at all hours. Do they need a licence and do they pay a fee, if so to whom?

You are refering to radio stations yes?

Feb 7, 2007
Most local artists give away stuff for free to radio stations, television stations, colmadones, liquer stores, etc. because the money is not in discs sales (cd's are sold on the street copies for 20-30 pesos and dvd's for 40-50 pesos) the money is in performances (yeah, those "evento espectacular, antony santos en XXXX el sabado YYYY"). The artists know they would not get much %%% from sales, the big money is in shows they do, the top performers charge millions for big spectacles.

That being said, there is something called Organizacion Nacional de Derechos de Autor known as ONDA. They do not seem to have a website though.

P.S. As far as I know worldwide radio and TV stations pay an annual flat fee to their local Authors Rights Organization covering both domestic and foreign artists and they can play any music they want. The fee, however, covers the "right" t reproduce, they still have to get legally the music they will be playing (e.g. buying the songs or discs).

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
You are joking aren't you, I never know these days on here, so much drivvel being written.
Anastacio, remember that in DR we have same low codes as in US.
The difference between both countries is that when a DR government's inspector step in your doors and he find the way to fine you for any reason....

You know the rest of the story.

JJ

Feb 7, 2007
Yes they pay, even Colmadones blasting music with their big speakers are to pay a tax called "Derecho de autor"

JJ

I haven't seen ONE colmado, colmadon, liquer store etc. paying, neither do local cable TV stations in the interior. Thing's different with radio stations (even the local ones) and the national TV.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I haven't seen ONE colmado, colmadon, liquer store etc. paying, neither do local cable TV stations in the interior. Thing's different with radio stations (even the local ones) and the national TV.
I listen every day Jose Gutierrez's radio show online and no ONE but many Colmadon owners had called this radio show setting complying for this reason, DR government inspector trying to fine or get a bribe from them...

JJ

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have a few friends in the Capital who are in a group called Kilomambo YouTube - KiloMambo rompiendo en el malecon (2010).wmv that are very popular. They give their stuff away left right and centre, as mentioned just to get heard, I am positive they recieve nothing for the playing of their music, anywhere.
I expect radio stations are expected to pay Copyright to bands like Aventura and such like, if they do?. Never have I heard of a Colmado paying copyright, that to me sounds like you just made it up. Or are we on different pages.

With all due respect!!:bunny:

Feb 7, 2007
In the broadcast industry nobody pays a specific royalty to a specific author. It works on a flat fee basis usually based on revenue but depending on county/media type it can be a 100% flat fee, e.g. 1000 dollars per year, etc.

http://bmi.com/forms/licensing/radio/nrbmlc_05_qa.pdf

So a radio station with revenue of 10 million US Dollars per year would pay about 17.5k USD per year in music licensing fees, just peanuts. In DR I am sure it is much much less.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thank you for all your feedback. The reason I wanted to know is: My ISP used to be Starband via satellite from the USA, because of the internet system of identifying my geographical location via ISP, I was presumed to be living in the USA. Although there were a lot of minuses to this one of the pluses was to be able to listen to Pandora Radio. When I switched to Orange Flybox as my ISP Pandora would no longer serve me as their current licence only covers broadcasting to USA residents. In an explanatory email they said that they would like to expand but that it was costly in time and money to find the details for licences. So in an effort to make it easier for them and to try and persuade them to get a licence for RD I asked the question. Now all I have to do is persuade Pandora! If anybody wants me to keep them posted, let me know.

Feb 7, 2007
US radio stations will not get a license for DR! The same goes about US and international stations on the Internet for TV. They broadcast only their own content, but cannot broadcast licensed content on the Internet. The same is not true for music radio stations from Europe and some parts of Latin America, as music licenses are different from feature presentation licenses. You can find many European and Latin American radio stations broadcasting on the Internet for the whole world. US radio stations broadcast only for the USA market.

One way to go about this is purchasing a subscription to US-based Virtual private network, that would take you back about 10-15 dollars per month. When you use VPN, you make a tunnel connection to US access point and your traffic is routed form there. Fro the world, it looks like you are connecting from USA.

You can use a free service called hotspotshield www.hotspotshield.com but many US content provdiers (like Hulu, etc.) already know their IP addresses so they block them. the advanatge with paid-for private VPN is they change IP addresses frequently so it's much harder for content providers to block them.