Input and suggestions moving to DR from NY

nsr ek9

Feb 16, 2011
hi really need input and suggestions im planning a move to dr in july i will be sending a container with 2 vehicles and house furniture my question is related to the furniture will compressed wood with veneer finish furniture survive the humidity ? i love the designs on the furniture in ny not sure if i can find a piece like it in dr also i was told that solid wood is better but wouldnt the humidity still affect it too. in ny the furniture will cost me 4000 dollars not sure if i can get ass much as i am getting here for this kind of money

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Furniture is all solid, maybe hardwood or bentwood in the DR.
Other furniture may not survive in many areas - warping etc.

Yanandu

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
If your bringing in 2 cars, you might not need any furniture as you will be spending most of your time in the Aduana in SD.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Humidity is certainly a concern for furniture of the type you describe. De-lamination of the veneer is a possibility, but with modern glues used in manufacture, it would take a long time in very extreme circumstances. The compressed wood is probably safe unless it actually gets wet and stays wet. The bigger threat is mold/mildew growth in/on fabrics, foam, and padding material. The period of time when being shipped would subject your furniture to a lot of humidity, but the same thing could happen over even longer time once the furniture is delivered and in your new home.

I suggest you get several buckets of "No Damp" (also other brand names... "damp out", etc.), and place them in the container for shipment. It is a product often used in boats and recreational vehicles, along with home use. It's sold in those kinds of stores, but it's cheaper if you buy it in hardware/home improvement stores... or even at WalMart. Buy the bigger buckets, and they will easily last long enough to get your stuff to the D.R. nice and dry.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pressed Wood" In All It's Variation Is Not For The RD!

If you have a "maid",it WILL get wet everyday! They "Wet Mop" the floors everyday. Every few weeks they use a water hose to wash the walls and floors.The rain and humidity are also a factor.I would use the "space" to bring a clothes washer,a stove,and a "fridge".I suggest no "Ice maker", or water dispenser in the door of the fridge,no drinking water in the plumbing here.You can get a "water cooler" here that holds a 5gallon bottle of drinking water.Good mattress' are a good idea as well. All the above are very expensive here. Since you are in NY,you should contact a good "Dominican Shipping Co. there for a price to ship,and deliver to your "door" here in the DR.They know how much to "Tip" the customs officials/"Crooks",here to get your "stuff" cleared.
That being said,it is probably better to come here with "nothing",EXCEPT, a lot of money!Rent a furnished apt.for 6 months,and see how "Life" goes.That way you are not tied to your "stuff".If you want to leave,you just buy a ticket and "GO"!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You are indeed a brave and hopefully wealthy person to bring in two cars. Please let us know how that works out.

As for compressed wood furniture, I would not bring it to the DR. It could be damaged in shipment, by the normal style of cleaning here, and just the high humidity in general.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
2 Cars?
why that?
are they brand New and You got them on such a great Deal that You await them to be sold for much more than You Paid? considering the very High Import Taxes on Vehicles plus the Costs for a large Container to Ship all down here?

read through some of the numerous Topics here on DR1 where People expreessed Their Experiences with such, interesting Read and may make you reconsider that Container thingy, specially the Cars.

Furnitures for just 4K$ to ship in a Container can make it finally a expensive furniching of a Appartment/House.

CC,
right on all Points, but a addy to the Fridge with Icemaker and Water dispenser:
of course You don't connect the Fridge to the Tab-Water in DR,
but You can do as I did,
connect it to a 5 Gallon Drinking Water Bottle, and all will be fine.
to get da Water from the Bottle to the Icemachine/Fridge use a small electric Waterpump.
the ones delivered with the Fridges purchased here in the DR aren't cheap, I know, mine costed 9K Pesos, but it works fine and comfo, always cooled drinking water at the dispenser available, always Icecubes and Crunched Ice available at the Fridge.

Mike

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
2 Cars?
why that?
are they brand New and You got them on such a great Deal that You await them to be sold for much more than You Paid? considering the very High Import Taxes on Vehicles plus the Costs for a large Container to Ship all down here?

Exactly my thought. Taxes on cars is ridiculous. I know many people who regret shipping a car over there. I guess the only good side to it is that you know the cars history if you ship your own car.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct on the History of a Used Car,
but it could anyways not be a really "Ole" one with a long History, as they are not allowed to be imported, there is a age limit on Cars to be imported.
the exact number slipped me now,
somebody else may fill that in.

Mike

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
correct on the History of a Used Car,
but it could anyways not be a really "Ole" one with a long History, as they are not allowed to be imported, there is a age limit on Cars to be imported.
the exact number slipped me now,
somebody else may fill that in.

Mike

I think its no more than 5 years old. I could be wrong though.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We have some veneer furniture in our house and it is fine. Additional we have some pine furniture up stairs and it is doing good too. That being said, I've seen a lot of damaged wood here that's wasn't termite resitent mahogany. It's probaly because our house has screens and we keep the doors closed all of the time. Humidity is not a problem in Santiago.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
What type car? If your moving to a big city, then it's easier to find parts for just about any type... Japanese more than American though (not trying to start a war or anything). I could be way off... but I see Toyotas and Nissans mostly- at least in San Cristobal / Santo Domingo areas. I haven't seen too many American cars here at all... but that could just be me.

Aug 19, 2004
The furniture ... will compressed wood with veneer finish furniture survive the humidity ?"

Santo Domingo now has a branch of IKEA - one would hope that veneer finish furniture would survive the humidity.