100 pesos ATM charge

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I heard there is a new 100 pesos withdrawal charge per transaction using any foreign Credit or Debit Card in DR (this is charged ny the DR bank not the card issuing bank at home). Apparently started middle of last year. Is that correct ?

To minimize this can someone tell me which banks allow taking the largest amount in one transaction ? Sometime they only allow 10k or 20k etc. . Assuming my card has a daily limit of ?500, I should be able to withdraw about 30k peso, but if I remember right the most I have taken out in one transaction was 20k, is this the maximum ?!

(BTW, I was there Jan 2010 and there was no such charge.)

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
It's a $RD112 per atm transaction at BP and BHD.

Banreservas and Progreso don't have the charge.

I believe you can take up to $RD4K per atm withdrawal at BR and up to the cards limit at Progreso, but be aware that sometimes the money won't come out of the atm on big withdrawals and your card will still be charged creating a lengthy dispute.

Best thing to do is to take $4K withdrawals at Banreservas, but I heard that Banco Santa Cruz allows up to $RD25,000 per transaction. I would go to the bank's prinicipal for taking a big amount out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
BanReservas still was not charging that fee as of this week. The problem with BanReservas is that you can only take out $RD 4,000 pesos maximum per transaction. I got the same rate as was being given at Caribe Express or Western Union with my US banks ATM card.

I don't know what the maximum withdrawal per transaction is a Scotia Bank (see above post that says $RD 25,000), BHD, and Banco Popular is but I suspect it is $RD 10,000.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
BanReservas still was not charging that fee as of this week. The problem with BanReservas is that you can only take out $RD 4,000 pesos maximum per transaction. I got the same rate as was being given at Caribe Express or Western Union with my US banks ATM card.

I don't know what the maximum withdrawal per transaction is a Scotia Bank, BHD, and Banco Popular is but I suspect it is $RD 10,000.

Scotia bank is 15000$.
Popular is 2 withdrawals of 5000$
On my cards anyway.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Progresso in Santo Domingo now charges that 112 peso per transaction.

I still use them because you can withdraw 50k peso at a time. For some reason I could only withdraw 40k yesterday. I hope that was a one-off glitch.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Wow now Progreso charges the fee also. A shame. I tried to pull $RD15K out of one of their machines and nothing came from the ATM and was debited to my card. The result was a lengthy dispute that resolved the matter. Same thing happened to me with a Banreservas machine for RD$2K, but was debited back to my card immediately without dispute. Big withdrawals over $RD4K need to be done at a main atm at the principal because they are well stocked with cash.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Wow now Progreso charges the fee also. A shame. I tried to pull $RD15K out of one of their machines and nothing came from the ATM and was debited to my card. The result was a lengthy dispute that resolved the matter. Same thing happened to me with a Banreservas machine for RD$2K, but was debited back to my card immediately without dispute. Big withdrawals over $RD4K need to be done at a main atm at the principal because they are well stocked with cash.

Yep. It is a new day. BHD and Progresso used to have no fee. Now they do. But the fee seems different throughout the country.

Unfortunately my home bank charges me 5 $US per withdrawl in DR. So I pay about 8 $US per withdrawl. That is why withdraw large amounts at a time.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
If you are a US resident, open a bank account with Schwab. I was able to do the entire thing from here in the DR. Schwab charges zero ATM fees AND refunds any fees charged by the local banks.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So at this point, the only bank not charging a fee is BanReservas, which is what I had thought was the case. I expect that will change.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
looking over my bank statement, i have always been charged $3 USD atm fee for a withdraw from Progresso up until this week. As of the 18th this month it appears they are now charging me $5 USD. Not sure if my son's grandmother used a different bank but I will ask her.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The charges usually come from one bank, I think now they are both charging us. Our bank and the bank of withdrawal.
Is this not the point?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
double dipping by the banks was pretty common here in the U.S. some years back. now you usually only have to pay atm fees when you withdraw from a bank other than your own. Sometimes it depends on your plan with the bank, level of deposits, how much business you do with them, etc.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Watchout on Banreservas ATM's now. Taking a $RD4,000 out and only 40-100 peso notes was disbused. The money basically got jammed in the machine and I was lucky enough to pull them all out. Not good.

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Tried out Banco Santa Cruz today and they are also charging the $RD112 now. Only Banreservas is left without charging the fee. Withdrew $RD2K today and all $RD500 notes so at least some improvement there. Soon BR will be charging also I imagine.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
The charges usually come from one bank, I think now they are both charging us. Our bank and the bank of withdrawal.
Is this not the point?

I get charged by my bank at home AND the DR ATM bank. 5 USD plus 112 Pesos.

I am switching to Schwab.