Having a Baby in the DR

abutt421

Feb 16, 2011
My husband an I are moving to the DR in a month, and we will be there for at least two years. We are interested in the possibility of starting our family while there, but have no idea if this is realistic. Are there good modern hospitals and doctors? Places to get safe cribs and other baby gear? ETC.....!!!!

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
My husband an I are moving to the DR in a month, and we will be there for at least two years. We are interested in the possibility of starting our family while there, but have no idea if this is realistic. Are there good modern hospitals and doctors? Places to get safe cribs and other baby gear? ETC.....!!!!

Absolutely...And your cost for medical will be significantly less. You might pay a bit more for a crib or other items, but the medical bills will equalize the matter.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Where will you be living? In Santo Domingo or Santiago, especially, the answer is yes, yes, and yes.

AE

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I am an English lady living here and i have had one child here and will be having my next in a couple of months.

I would suggest getting yourself a good medical insurance that includes Maternity, you have to have this at least 3 months before actually becoming pregnant to qualify for the coverage. I pay 10,000 pesos approx USD300 every three months which covers my daughter, myself, pregnancy and prescriptions with Medical Insurance company Humano. This covers 100% of EVERYTHING! Even c-section surgery and hospital stay at Hospiten and Centro Medico(Tourist hospital's in Punta Cana).

You can get alot more here now than you could 4 years ago when i had my first, allthough it is pricey! If you family are helpful they can maybe send you some things when you are expecting. Other mums will understand, but finding cotton blankets and clothing for baby is very difficult, many things are Polyester and in this heat that is a nightmare. I buy all of my baby clothes online from the UK.

Most of the other bigger pieces you can find but again at price, but i bought alot of my bigger pieces on ebay and had it sent to a mail forwarding service in Florida and still saved alot.

However talk to other mums and you will no doubt find out what you really need and what is a waste of time and money. Also keep posting on DR1 as you may be lucky enough to find someone like me who will have finished with all the bigger pieces and will want it to go to a good home.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

The only draw back I can see is the child citizenship status. Are you currently in the US? If so, you may want to find out whether your child would automatically become a US citizen if they are born outside the US.

As far as your worries, if you are planning on giving birth in a clinic then you will have no problems. Clinics are very modern and doctors are very good.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In order for the child tohave US citizenship, the parents or one of the parents must be a US citizen in good standing, with at least five years physical presence in the United States or Puerto Rico (Guam also) after the 14th birthday...or something like that.

The birth has to be reported to the United States Consulate along with certified and translated birth certificates from the Clinic where the baby was born and the jurisdiction where the baby was "declared" in the DR. Sounds complicated, but it is not. Passport and SSA# can be issued at the same time...

HB

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Take pictures of your pregnancy, save all medicals prescriptions, hospital bills and X ray, etc, etc. so you can prove the consular officer the baby is really yours, I remember the day we went to apply for our baby Crystal's American citizenship there it was a couple of Caucasian American trying to do the registration of their baby and the consul requested from them to bring more evidences, this really surprised me....
That's exactly what I like of the US rules are enforce for everybody.

JJ

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
im in santiago and my wife in 2 months pregnant. so far the HOMS hospital has been good to deal wife and the doctors seem to be very experienced and friendly. The doctor that did the ultrasound spoke good english as most of them do im finding.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Take pictures of your pregnancy, save all medicals prescriptions, hospital bills and X ray, etc, etc. so you can prove the consular officer the baby is really yours, I remember the day we went to apply for our baby Crystal's American citizenship there it was a couple of Caucasian American trying to do the registration of their baby and the consul requested from them to bring more evidences, this really surprised me....
That's exactly what I like of the US rules are enforce for everybody.

JJ

DNA test is good also.

abutt421

Feb 16, 2011
THanks for the info. What is the insurance that you use? We are having a hard time finding one that will cover what you mentioned for a reasonable price. We have not yet arrived in the DR, we are having troubles with the visas, but I would like to get all my ducks in a row before we move.

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
baby on board

was just going to ask the same thing what visas? you dont need them to go there.where do you live and what area are you going to be living in when you get to the DR.you can do all that here also along the way.let me know your area and i may be able to help my wife is pregnent and can share the process with you.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I had both of my babies here. We shipped in a lot of stuff but I got a crib here for a reasonable price. As far as u citizenship, it's pretty easy and if the mom is the citizen, no need for DNA.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Think about it Ron, without a DNA test you don't know who the father is, but you don't need that to figure out who the mother is. In La Teacher's case, she American so her children have the right to be American.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
DNA tests are only required when the father holds US citizenship. I mean, I guess unless there is serious doubt about the kid belonging to the couple, it's not necessary to prove with DNA the MATERNITY of a baby.

For my first born, they kind of "wondered" if he was really mine until I started to nurse in the interview room - how else was I going to prove it?

Overall, though the process is easy and quick if you do everything correctly.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Think about it Ron, without a DNA test you don't know who the father is, but you don't need that to figure out who the mother is. In La Teacher's case, she American so her children have the right to be American.

This statement is not true and very deceiving. As per the U.S. nationality laws:

Child born abroad to one U.S. Citizen parent and one non U.S. Citizen

A child born on or after November 14, 1986. A child born outside of the United States to one U.S. citizen parent and one non-U.S. citizen parent may be entitled to citizenship providing the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years, at least two years of which were after s/he reached the age of fourteen. This period of physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child.

If La Teacher is the U.S. Citizen and her husband is not, she needs to satisfy this criteria first in order to transfer her U.S. citizenship to her kids.

Reactions: Bronxboy

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Unless the mother is unmarried and then only needs to prove that she has been physically for only one year.