Moving to DR need some feedback

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, sorry about my first post being so long, but taking such a huge step in someones life is never a short story.

I am planning on moving to Santiago by the end of this year (December 2011). I?ve been planning for a little over 3 years and believe to have everything worked out, at least in theory. I have an Engineering degree (Electrical) and also a Master?s degree (Electrical). I am 35 and married with a 2-1/2 year old daughter. Reasons for moving are plenty but basically love the DR weather/life. I was born in DR and came to NY when I was 7. Lived most of my life here but did live in DR from ages 15-22 so I know what it is like to live there. Basically the purpose of the this post is to get your input on my planning. I?ll break it down this way.

1. Where will you live?

Recently my wife and I purchased a ?solar? in Santiago, as far as I know it is a decent area (not a barrio nor is it Los Cerros). I plan on building a house there, I already have my budget, $3.4MDR.

Questions: ->> Is this budget reasonable? Any thoughts/tips on contractors?

2. Where will you work/get your money from?

My brother is currently teaching in Santiago and I am hoping to get a job at the same University he teaches in. I also have some income coming in from some 2 cellphone store investments here in NY, plus I have invested in ?mortgage loans? in DR. I also do internet marketing (I own several websites). I estimate that a 3 family household would need anywhere from $40,000 - $60,000 pesos per month.

Questions ->> How much money would someone need to live reasonably for a family of 3?

3. What about household stuff?

My plan is to ship all my belongings. I received a quote from a shipper, they quoted me at $4,500US with $65 for every box.

Questions -> Is this price reasonable? Anyone used/recommend a shipper? Should I leave anything behind and consider buying in DR (Such as sofa, bedroom/living room set) because of humidity and such?

4. What about security?

Within my budget I put aside for a security/surveillance service, plus I plan on installing cameras around my property.

Questions -> Are the security services trustworthy? What about a Watchy-man? What type of house is more likely to be broken into (A house left alone, a house with lots of visible stuff?)

5. What about your dogs?

Yeah, I have 2 dogs. I am planning on shipping them. Called up 2 major airlines (Delta and American Airlines) and they quoted me at around $1500 to get both dogs there as live cargo.

Questions -> Any tips from someone who has shipped large dogs (larger than 50lbs)? Would it be best to sedate them?

6. What about transportation?

I plan on selling my car here plus I have put aside money to get a car over there. People are telling me to get a diesel, but then I hear that because the diesel engine parts are more expensive, gasoline engine vehicle would be better.

Questions -> Diesel or Gasoline?

7. What about internet?

This is really big for me as I need fast access (more than 4Mbps). I looked around and from what I can tell codetel has the fastest.

Question -> Anyone in Santiago have a good internet service provider? I am looking for anything over 4Mbps down, is that possible? How much should I expect to pay for something like this?

Appreciate any input you guys can give me.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
ha, ha, ha, you are very insecure or joking dude. you say you have a masters in electrics, ya born here, lived here from 15 - 22 so obviously speak better spanish than most on this board. nobody purchases a "solar", ya smart enough to know about "los Cerros" wherever that is, ya got two cell phone store in NY, ya making mortgage loans in this country, ya own websites, ya got two big dogs and ya worry bout security cameras for your measly 100k US house, ? ya want to live on 1000US a month? have your wife figure it out or go back to school because you need a Phd in trying to fool the posters on this board that will gladly give good advice to "honest" questions.....

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
ha, ha, ha, you are very insecure or joking dude. you say you have a masters in electrics, ya born here, lived here from 15 - 22 so obviously speak better spanish than most on this board. nobody purchases a "solar", ya smart enough to know about "los Cerros" wherever that is, ya got two cell phone store in NY, ya making mortgage loans in this country, ya own websites, ya got two big dogs and ya worry bout security cameras for your measly 100k US house, ? ya want to live on 1000US a month? have your wife figure it out or go back to school because you need a Phd in trying to fool the posters on this board that will gladly give good advice to "honest" questions.....

wow, what a **** reply.

At least this guy has done most of the legwork over 3 years, at least its not a typical "how much do i need to live in DR"

hes/shes just asking for the final steps of help.

FFS.

BR

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Recently my wife and I purchased a ‘solar’ in Santiago, as far as I know it is a decent area (not a barrio nor is it Los Cerros). I plan on building a house there, I already have my budget, $3.4MDR.

This will be enough unless you are doing something very extravagent. Contact me when you get in town as I know people who can do a good job and economical.

My brother is currently teaching in Santiago and I am hoping to get a job at the same University he teaches in. I also have some income coming in from some 2 cellphone store investments here in NY, plus I have invested in ‘mortgage loans’ in DR. I also do internet marketing (I own several websites). I estimate that a 3 family household would need anywhere from $40,000 - $60,000 pesos per month.

I hear PUCMM is looking for English language professors for their Engineering departments to give the students a leg up in the States. You will need at least a masters to teach.

Questions -> Is this price reasonable? Anyone used/recommend a shipper? Should I leave anything behind and consider buying in DR (Such as sofa, bedroom/living room set) because of humidity and such?

I paid more 5 years ago. Who is the shipper? La Rosa del Monte express is a well known one.

I plan on selling my car here plus I have put aside money to get a car over there. People are telling me to get a diesel, but then I hear that because the diesel engine parts are more expensive, gasoline engine vehicle would be better.

You may consider bringing your car, find out how much extra and especially the taxes are. For the economical minded, go with a propane conversion.

4. What about security?

Within my budget I put aside for a security/surveillance service, plus I plan on installing cameras around my property.

Depending on where you live that should be enough as long as you don't try to make your house the fanciest one on the block with the latest and most expensive cars.

7. What about internet?

This is really big for me as I need fast access (more than 4Mbps). I looked around and from what I can tell codetel has the fastest.

Codetel is the best and most economical in Santiago. you don't need a lot of speed to have VOIP and do online gaming. I do both and 750 down and 250 up are good for me.

See attached link for prices. Get a number from a close neigbor or business in the area to make sure it is available.

http://www.codetel.com.do/detalle.aspx?id=2452

Also, depending on whether you plan on sending your kids to an expensive private school and whether you like to eat out Santiago could be more expensive than you think. However, if you watch eating out and find an acceptable school for the kid it can be cheap too. I have three daughters, two in private school, and we are living on US1100 or so a month but we are scrimping but it can still be done.

suerte

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

ooohh ok. Why is everything I said so hard to believe? I am not selling anything, lol.

I don't have a Masters in "electrics" I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering.

I was born in DR, lived on la J. Armando Bermudez avenue in Santiago (In front of El Mercado Central). Lived there till 7, where I came here to NY. Moved back to DR when I was 15 because my parents were worried I may get into gangs,drugs and the like. Studied in Santiago in a school that burned down in the early 2000s.

Yes, I bought a 'solar'=piece of land in Gurabo.

Los Cerros = Los Serros de Gurabo (Where popi Bermudez lives, lol).

I am part owner of 2 cellphone stores in NY, 1 in Brooklyn and 1 in the Bronx.

My brother and I we lend money to people. Using an attorney, if you want to borrow money basically we require that you have no leans on your property and we hold on to your titulo.

I currently own 2 websites, they are tech websites, just like this site, I make money off the ads. Its very simple, just put in some code and wallah. The hard part is getting traffic to the site.

I own 2 dogs. A Golden Retriever that is 4 years old and a chocolate Labrador Retriever that is 3 years old.

I am not worried about the home, I am worried about someone breaking in in the middle of the night with my wife and child sleeping. Would you like that?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
All I can say with regard to lending money here is that it is appears to be a dangerous business. Therefore you may want a "guachi" at your house and probably should carry a pistol. I would prefer another type of business to stay under the radar.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Love the dogs!!! I would love a chocolate Lab....
Re: Security-> I like dogs more than wachis...And I like female dogs more than males.
I like little barky, nasty types, like cockers and chihuahuas, that bark at anyone that comes around....
Cameras are good, so are motion sensor lights, solar powered.

I did not see provisions for a generator...that is important.

I think you are pretty well grounded...and if you got the goods and the ability to transmit your knowledge, you would be a welcome addition to PUCMM's faculty...

I think you can make a nice house, and I hope you do not make one of those "Dominican York-with-money-just-back-from-NYC" houses....they are butt ugly!

Hints: make ceiling at least 10 feet. Use some wood, If you are building in Gurabo, look at the houses nearby and build to "fit in.." Try to take advantage of environment and breezes.

YOu might want to rent for a while to see how things are living here again...
Good luck...we'll be here to help, if we can...

HB

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Re the dogs - that seems like a hell of a lot of money. Can't you bring them on the flight with you? In a carrier (I would think sedated is best)

Heck seats on the plane are cheaper then what you quoted.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
ooohh ok. Why is everything I said so hard to believe? I am not selling anything, lol.

I don't have a Masters in "electrics" I have a Masters in Electrical Engineering.

I was born in DR, lived on la J. Armando Bermudez avenue in Santiago (In front of El Mercado Central). Lived there till 7, where I came here to NY. Moved back to DR when I was 15 because my parents were worried I may get into gangs,drugs and the like. Studied in Santiago in a school that burned down in the early 2000s.

Yes, I bought a 'solar'=piece of land in Gurabo.

Los Cerros = Los Serros de Gurabo (Where popi Bermudez lives, lol).

I am part owner of 2 cellphone stores in NY, 1 in Brooklyn and 1 in the Bronx.

My brother and I we lend money to people. Using an attorney, if you want to borrow money basically we require that you have no leans on your property and we hold on to your titulo.

I currently own 2 websites, they are tech websites, just like this site, I make money off the ads. Its very simple, just put in some code and wallah. The hard part is getting traffic to the site.

I own 2 dogs. A Golden Retriever that is 4 years old and a chocolate Labrador Retriever that is 3 years old.

I am not worried about the home, I am worried about someone breaking in in the middle of the night with my wife and child sleeping. Would you like that?

Listen man, flip the bullbong, why dont you open your own trade school teaching these guys how to do electrical work correctly and without flaw? How to wire an outlet with a secured ground, pulse modulations and safety. At least then they would be competitive on a world class and for those who managed to ever get a visa to leave would have a skill wherever they land. You can even teach them how to design a car stereo for more output and less distortion.

I have a friend who works for La Famosa Shipping they have an office in Santiago and another in the Bronx.

Get a firearm, at some point someone Dominican or Haitian will try to test your security regimen.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for all the input guys.

I didn't know the PUCMMA was going to offer classes in English, that sounds like something I would love to do. I currently teach now at a trade school in Long Island. I teach electrical technology (pretty much how to be an electrician).

Starting my own school over there sounds like a great idea; but might be a little too much, mainly cause you would have to dedicate alot of time to get it going.

About the firearm. I have a friend that is a cop, believe it or not be actually recommended I dont get a firearm. He said that they would cause more harm then good. I thought about it myself and what I think is best to do is to get a firearm but just to show it. For example, put it on my waist while working on my car in the driveway. THats so that anyone in the area can see it. As far as the dogs go for security they are actually not good for security. I read from an ex cat burglar that dogs dont mean ****. Basically most people who have dogs at home are friendly dogs. Plus, dogs can be poisoned, which I am very afraid of happening.

@DMV123 - I asked about bringing the dogs with me (Basically on the seat next to me) and the airline person said that this is possible, but I would need a letter from a doctor saying that I need the dog for psychological support to fly.

@Hillbilly - Yes, in my proposal I put in for invertors with a couple of batteries good enough for a few hours. The house I want to build is a simple, 3 bedroom 1 story house.

@Chip - I checked out about shipping my car, but it would cost too much in taxes.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
If you don't plan on having a loan business here you don't need a gun.

As far as PUCMM goes, I was told by the Dir of the Civil Eng department about the "desire" of the school to be able to teach English classes in the upper level engineering classes, so I would expect that to be all the depts of engineering. As it is now at classes from at least some of the eng degrees are accepted by ABET in the US, which means students from PUMM could potentialy be licensed engineer in the States; hence the interest in having classes and curriculum in English to further strengthen the program.

As far as dogs, we have three small ones kept inside at night. The smaller ones are less likely to take food from a stranger and are spooked easily. It's still a good idea in addition to your security.

As far as a car goes, if you plan on going on trips or the campo get an suv. You can get a decent SUV for RD300-400k and install propane. It will be a few years old of course but that's better anyway. The good thing is parts are plentiful and labor is cheap to keep them in tip top shape.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
If you don't plan on having a loan business here you don't need a gun.

As far as PUCMM goes, I was told by the Dir of the Civil Eng department about the "desire" of the school to be able to teach English classes in the upper level engineering classes, so I would expect that to be all the depts of engineering. As it is now at classes from at least some of the eng degrees are accepted by ABET in the US, which means students from PUMM could potentialy be licensed engineer in the States; hence the interest in having classes and curriculum in English to further strengthen the program.

As far as dogs, we have three small ones kept inside at night. The smaller ones are less likely to take food from a stranger and are spooked easily. It's still a good idea in addition to your security.

As far as a car goes, if you plan on going on trips or the campo get an suv. You can get a decent SUV for RD300-400k and install propane. It will be a few years old of course but that's better anyway. The good thing is parts are plentiful and labor is cheap to keep them in tip top shape.

The loan business will not be ran from home. Basically the way it works is we loan to the lawyer who then loans to the customer. Lawyer collects payment, takes his cut and calls me. I pick up and take to bank.

I know a professor from the department of Electrical, his name is Antonito, do you know him? He is a great friend of my father.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
About the firearm. I have a friend that is a cop, believe it or not be actually recommended I dont get a firearm. He said that they would cause more harm then good. I thought about it myself and what I think is best to do is to get a firearm but just to show it. For example, put it on my waist while working on my car in the driveway. THats so that anyone in the area can see it.

Probably want to rethink that one. If you really decide to have a firearm .... a firearm is a "valuable" possession in it's own right. That alone could make you a target. Someone may really want that gun. Enough to "take" it from you.

Also, the element of surprise is lost. And it is not unusual for "the one with the gun" to be shot first, when things go bad. For me, concealed is better.

Now, this is not to alarm you. You will probably be safe ... even without owning the firearm. (Unless you really plan on having a loan business ... different story then,) See how you feel after you're there for a while.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The loan business will not be ran from home. Basically the way it works is we loan to the lawyer who then loans to the customer. Lawyer collects payment, takes his cut and calls me. I pick up and take to bank.

I know a professor from the department of Electrical, his name is Antonito, do you know him? He is a great friend of my father.

No, I met Dario the director of Civil Eng Dept. and I know Luis aka "Hillbilly" here on DR1 who is a professor as well. It already sounds like you have good contacts so I expect things will work out for you.

BTW, I'm a contracting civil eng and inquired about teaching at PUCMM because work is slow but unfortunately I'll need a masters. At some point I will get it at PUCMM because I always wanted to teach and want my daughters to go there too.

Finally, be careful carrying large sums of money from any business to deposit. The crooks are looking for patterns. You read about attacks every so often but from what I've seen it appears they are directed to businessmen who apparently have no bodyguards. Then again there's a "cambio" on almost every corner and by all acounts it is a lucrative business.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
@Major448 - Good point about the gun. I know of plenty of peoples whos house was broken into get to their guns.

@Chip - Do you currently live in DR? What school did you go to for Engineering? Since you an a contractor, what do you think about my presupuesto for building the house? I have some friends recommend I use a Master Builder and just have someone supervise him. I have other people tell me hire an Engineer. When I was there in September of 2010 I spoke to an Engineer. I basically took him to a house that was brand new and asked him how much he would charge me to get it built in my land. He quoated me at $3.4M-DR. Its basically this house: super-casas.com - dominicana - propiedades, casas, villas, apartamentos, solares - supercasas

I asked him if it included madera en caoba, he said yes. He also said the price also included other perks such as: security alarm, ac in everyroom, plus more stuff.

A lot of people have suggested I biuld a 2 story house, but I think it may be out of my budget. But, when I see house like this selling for $4MDR I start to wonder. In your opinion, how much would it cost to build something like this that is selling for $4M? super-casas.com - dominicana - propiedades, casas, villas, apartamentos, solares - supercasas

Thanks!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Starting my own school over there sounds like a great idea; but might be a little too much, mainly cause you would have to dedicate alot of time to get it going.

About the firearm. I have a friend that is a cop, believe it or not be actually recommended I dont get a firearm. He said that they would cause more harm then good. I thought about it myself and what I think is best to do is to get a firearm but just to show it. For example, put it on my waist while working on my car in the driveway. THats so that anyone in the area can see it. As far as the dogs go for security they are actually not good for security. I read from an ex cat burglar that dogs dont mean ****. Basically most people who have dogs at home are friendly dogs. Plus, dogs can be poisoned, which I am very afraid of happening.

Its a gun bro, not a cowboy hat. You dont get it to show it off, you get it to use it. Now your cop friend can say what he wanna, but in an emergency he aint gonna be here to save you. Neither is la Policia Nacional. At the end of the day it is better to have it and not need it versus need it and not have it and hope your criminals are the "kind not to beaty" type. If you are in a situation in the middle of the night when the creeps come creeping to me this should be teachable moment and you are the headmaster.

The trade school would be to give you something to do to teach 10 boys at a time a trade. A good trade in a country dying from underemployment and unemployment.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I asked about bringing the dogs with me (Basically on the seat next to me) and the airline person said that this is possible, but I would need a letter from a doctor saying that I need the dog for psychological support to fly.

In my experience, dogs (especially young ones like yours) cope extremely well with travel in a suitable sized crate in the cargo hold. It is definitely NOT a good idea to sedate them as it can make them disorientated and, indeed, many airlines find it completely unacceptable.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LISAGAUSS:

Showing the gun is (1)illegal as all he!! and (2) Just plain not smart-it's an invite to come steal it.
If you feel you need protection bring a few pepper sprays and better yet, some wasp sprays that are good and accurate up to 20 feet away.
Unless you are military or police trained a pistol will not help you nor will it be a deterrant to any of the criminal element. If you feel the least bit threatened you can do a person with pepper spray and if it turns out to be a "big mistake" you can always say you are sorry...

Regarding dogs. Yes, there is an element of risk, BUT please note that I said 'females". Why? Because, unlike men, they are not so distracted when a nice piece of female goes by, especially, in the dog world a female in heat, or a thief with clothing that has been rubbed on a female in heat. Female dogs don't give a sh!t about that....And I do want a chocolate Lab!! Another thing. Most Dominicans and every Haitian I have met are scared of dogs. This might be a cultural heritage thing but it is effective. Training in also available to keep dogs from eating anything not provided by the "master"....

Regarding Antonito? If you mean the musician? I know him very well. In fact you might say I was one of the people responsible for him becoming an engineer. he can tell you about it...Just ask him about the Dean of Students when he was in the Tuna...

Re: Your own school...well maybe and maybe not. With your training and experience you are a shoo in to teach at INFOTEP, which you must know about, and there is a great guy who is going to open a school in the northern part of the outskirts of Santiago, and you could probably start the laboratories and practical work there, if he ever gets it started.

Again, good luck...

HB