Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What the hell am I doing here?

This thread was inspired by a piece I read on the main Colombia news site in English. I guess I feel like the articles author

The DR even gets a mention.

Why I love Colombia - Colombia news | Colombia Reports

So, the question of the day is... What the hell are YOU doing here?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

"What makes Colombia so special is that it has shown me how to be happy even though my life isn't perfect. It has shown me to pull through when times are hard. It has shown me how to appreciate the beauty of love and friendship. It has inspired me to work harder than I ever have before. It has taught me not to be so quick to judge. It has humbled me. It has made me feel an overwhelming respect for those around me"

what she said

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm here at the computer because my beer and dinner aren't ready.

Really, my daughters are happy here and I will never move back. The weather and the people are too nice plus I like rice, beans and plantain.

Post Thanks / Like

After raising a flock of kids and working for nearly 5 decades, I guess you could say that i am waiting to see what the future has for me...I am cool. Been there, done that and got the T-Shirt...From really high to really low...so peace is so nice...

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Colombia is a nice place to visit but DR is a good place for me to work and live (at the moment). If I can find a work that would pay me 80% of what i make here, i would move to Medellin tomorrow.
    I do not think colombia or even DR is as dangerous as people make it out to be. It all depends on where you choose to live and whom you choose to make friends with. The lost gringo always seem to find his new family among the motoconchos and cueros from bars, so why are we so surprised to read about all the horror stories they have to write? Gringos follow the same path in colombia. Why do you think so many gringos visit cartagena? I am sure its not for the beautiful beaches they have there.
    beautiful beaches of cartagena? hahahahaha. whats a joke.
    I would love to live in poblado area in medellin if I can find a way to make just as much money there.
    AZB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have no idea

I think I have been forced to like the Republic. If it wasn't for having a child I would have left a long time ago without the need to return. Yet as I have stayed with the mother of my daughter to try to make it work, through thick and thin I have been teased into looking at this country through the eyes of a native, deal with it and HAVE to carry on head up and smiling. I couldn't enjoy the country before, I expected the positives of the country along with the high expectations I take forgranted from the UK.
    Somehow down the years I learned to just deal with it, move on and from that we ended up a happy and content little family, not a bed of roses, and far from perfect but once I learned to stop complaining and be happy with what I've got, it's not such a bad place to be after all.
    One thing I have learned about this place over the years is it is slightly different to othe countries I lived. I can usually say that it takes sorts to make this work, a mass variety of different kinds of people. In the Republic I have found that yes you have people from all walks of life, but the people are a very similar kind of people, people, especially ex pats have a certain thing in common, a certain attitude that is similar to one another. I found those without this don't last, or are here only on a short term basis anyway.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    Why do you think so many gringos visit cartagena?
    People like to travel, nothing wrong with that.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

No place makes you happy. You are in charge of your happiness. How you spend your time and the people you choose to bring into your life are the main variables.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    Why do you think so many gringos visit cartagena? I am sure its not for the beautiful beaches they have there.
    beautiful beaches of cartagena?
    Guy's looking for girls don't even make a dent in the numbers, just like they don't in the DR.

They go to Cartagena because it has the finest Colonial Zone in the world and a major cruise ship destination. It's a spectacular walking city!

They had 7,000+ cruise ship passengers on shore for Christmas day.
    The average passenger spend on-shore is US$110.

Yes, I like Colombia and it has a great future and I have a feeling DR1 is going to play a small part in making that happen

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Yes, I like Colombia and it has a great future and I have a feeling DR1 is going to play a small part in making that happen
    The other day I typed DR1.co instead of DR1.com. It looks like this website might expand to colombia in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast