What the hell am I doing here?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
"What makes Colombia so special is that it has shown me how to be happy even though my life isn't perfect. It has shown me to pull through when times are hard. It has shown me how to appreciate the beauty of love and friendship. It has inspired me to work harder than I ever have before. It has taught me not to be so quick to judge. It has humbled me. It has made me feel an overwhelming respect for those around me"

what she said

Reactions: Bronxboy

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm here at the computer because my beer and dinner aren't ready. :)

Really, my daughters are happy here and I will never move back. The weather and the people are too nice plus I like rice, beans and plantain.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
After raising a flock of kids and working for nearly 5 decades, I guess you could say that i am waiting to see what the future has for me...I am cool. Been there, done that and got the T-Shirt...From really high to really low...so peace is so nice...

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Colombia is a nice place to visit but DR is a good place for me to work and live (at the moment). If I can find a work that would pay me 80% of what i make here, i would move to Medellin tomorrow.
I do not think colombia or even DR is as dangerous as people make it out to be. It all depends on where you choose to live and whom you choose to make friends with. The lost gringo always seem to find his new family among the motoconchos and cueros from bars, so why are we so surprised to read about all the horror stories they have to write? Gringos follow the same path in colombia. Why do you think so many gringos visit cartagena? I am sure its not for the beautiful beaches they have there.
beautiful beaches of cartagena? hahahahaha. whats a joke.
I would love to live in poblado area in medellin if I can find a way to make just as much money there.
AZB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have no idea

I think I have been forced to like the Republic. If it wasn't for having a child I would have left a long time ago without the need to return. Yet as I have stayed with the mother of my daughter to try to make it work, through thick and thin I have been teased into looking at this country through the eyes of a native, deal with it and HAVE to carry on head up and smiling. I couldn't enjoy the country before, I expected the positives of the country along with the high expectations I take forgranted from the UK.
Somehow down the years I learned to just deal with it, move on and from that we ended up a happy and content little family, not a bed of roses, and far from perfect but once I learned to stop complaining and be happy with what I've got, it's not such a bad place to be after all.
One thing I have learned about this place over the years is it is slightly different to othe countries I lived. I can usually say that it takes sorts to make this work, a mass variety of different kinds of people. In the Republic I have found that yes you have people from all walks of life, but the people are a very similar kind of people, people, especially ex pats have a certain thing in common, a certain attitude that is similar to one another. I found those without this don't last, or are here only on a short term basis anyway.

Reactions: Chip

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
No place makes you happy. You are in charge of your happiness. How you spend your time and the people you choose to bring into your life are the main variables.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why do you think so many gringos visit cartagena? I am sure its not for the beautiful beaches they have there.
beautiful beaches of cartagena?

Guy's looking for girls don't even make a dent in the numbers, just like they don't in the DR.

They go to Cartagena because it has the finest Colonial Zone in the world and a major cruise ship destination. It's a spectacular walking city!

They had 7,000+ cruise ship passengers on shore for Christmas day.
The average passenger spend on-shore is US$110.

Yes, I like Colombia and it has a great future and I have a feeling DR1 is going to play a small part in making that happen ;)

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Yes, I like Colombia and it has a great future and I have a feeling DR1 is going to play a small part in making that happen ;)

The other day I typed DR1.co instead of DR1.com. It looks like this website might expand to colombia in the future.

Reactions: Lucille

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
What the hell am I doing here ? - I ask myself that everyday in the dead of winter in Canada... for example I slid into a steep ditch yesterday ended up on my side and all I could think about was sitting on the playa with my Presidente... so the question should be more like... WTF AM I DOING HERE !!!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I dont know if Colombia is better than dr. But it is for sure a lot bigger and more diverse. It takes some more time to see it all.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I baked a chocolate cake for a 1 year old today...... she and her family came and dived in my pool later and enjoyed it. I looked at the green trees and the flowers in the vase next to the photo of my son who died in an accident 3.5 years ago and I wondered where in the world I would rather be..... 25 weeks ago also that Charlie died - where else would I want to be? I can't think of anywhere right now.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I guess that 'here' means the DR?

There are so many different posters from all over that it's sometimes tricky to define.
Maybe it's a philosophical 'Here' which can mean any place at any time but is "The here and Now"?

My brain hurts now.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I guess that 'here' means the DR?

There are so many different posters from all over that it's sometimes tricky to define.
Maybe it's a philosophical 'Here' which can mean any place at any time but is "The here and Now"?

My brain hurts now.

I did not mean to confuse - yes, here, definitely means the DR...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm waiting for Rob to explain something to me:

If DR1 is short for Dominican Republic 1, would DR1.co be short for Dominican Republic 1 Columbia?

By luck, Dolores and Robert are the owners of DR1 :)

Anything we do would go under the DR1 brand.
It's well known and makes sense.

Let's get back to the topic at hand....