the mooch day

Status
Not open for further replies.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
for the most part is was pretty good...not many asked me for anything which was nice,,,oh there was the odd begging here and there but i usually cut it short :)

anyhow i have to tell you's about this 1 day which almost like ev1 i came into asked for something :)...hence the name of this post :)

i left my hotel to go do my laundry and a gaurd came up and asked me for a 100 pesos to buy something for to eat...i snapped and told him that i didn't like the fact that he had a job and still asked me for money...it started with a cigarette 1 night...couple nights later 20 pesos so he could get a moto concho home...then a few days later andither cigarette...then the money for food....so i slammed the door hard and quick...:)

went to do laundry...got there and had to wait 45 mins...young man started talking to me...he did his best in the english he knew and i did my best in the spanish i knew...did learn a few things..anyhow convo got to the point where would i buy him a beer...and since he kept me company i said ok...considered it payment for the teach and company...still had a few minutes to wait and saw this fellow wheeling a cart down the road collecting bottles...he had a bum leg...he grabbed a bag and went in to a field to collect bottles...on the other side of the laundry there was a wired fence that he wouldn't have been able to get throught to..so i climbed the fence and grabbed about 20+ bottles for him...set them by his cart and when he came back he looked at them...looked at me..and asked if it was ok...i said yes...and since he was polite i gave him 200 pesos...since he was working for his money...)
laundry was done and the guy who asked me to get him a beer comes back with a nice new shirt on...thinking he was gonna be getting a free party for the night...i said amigo i am out of time...but here's a hundred pesos..have a beer on me...and left....:)

on the way home i stopped into a store...2 lil girls and a boy were in there looking at a cake...when i walked in they turned and said hola cabellero..:)
i smiled and said hello back...bought my stuff and since the children were polite i asked the man how much for the cake...he said 10 pesos each...so i dropped the 30 pesos on the table and said give them a piece each...they were polite and didn't ask for nothing :)..man gave me the thumbs up...

get back to the condo...called the gasurd over and said..don't worry...i won't tell mangement you are asking guest for money :)...

yes they are there just like they are here...many would like something for nithing and others will work for it or not expect it at all...this is life...not solely in the dr...and except for the motoconchos and the beach vendors...i had truly the best time in my life :)

ps....got more good things to say later...just need time to recooperate :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I had a new one at the park in La Descubierta last week.

A strong, nice looking teenager, 16-18, came up and confidently handed me what looked like a note on yellow note paper.

I opened it up and the poor scrawl read "$10 tin US dolir." (really:cheeky:)

I laughed and gave him a cookie. The look on his face was priceless...

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
When I was in POP in January, I was at a corner empanada stand and a little boy was tugging on my daughter's hem asking for pesos... she had no RD $ so she handed him $1 US. He obviously had never handled $US before because he kept turning it over and over in his hands and kind of looking forlorn shuffling his feet in the dirt etc... after about 20 minutes of this...and repeated sad and curious glances from the boy... My daughter handed him an empanada which he'd been hoping to get with the "invalid" currency.... and one of my Domincan friends informed the boy that it was $US and explained its value in RD$ and the boy immediately changed that frown to a smile. LOL The look on his face was priceless.

E

engineerfg

You know if you feed the monkeys popcorn, they will stop eating the proper zoo food right? Why make a headache for the zoo keeper??

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I help a lot of folks with spare change on a daily basis. Blind folks at different intersections, the hopping guy with one arm and one leg on Sarasota, old ladies at various intersections, and Balaguer's midget lady.

Folks that genuinely need assistance.

Understand what you are dealing with.
Exactly!:classic:

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
Hear, hear!!

I help a lot of folks with spare change on a daily basis. Blind folks at different intersections, the hopping guy with one arm and one leg on Sarasota, old ladies at various intersections, and Balaguer's midget lady.

Folks that genuinely need assistance.

Understand what you are dealing with.

Midget lady???? I LOVE midgets, I don't know why, maybe because they are so midgety.....

I rear ended a midget with my car today. He got out and said "I am not happy!" Then I said, "Well then, which dwarf are you?"

I asked a midget to borrow a dollar and he said 'Sorry, I'm a little short!'

Midget cowboy complained to doctor about excruciating pain in his testicles. Doc looked him over, pulled out a huge set of scissors. Midget says, "You ain't cutting my testicles off!" Doc said, "No, I'm cutting the tops off your new boots!"

What do you get when you cross a midget with a computer?
a short circut.

:chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you don't want to be "mooched" on, just say No, it is the same in English as it is in Spanish.

Woofsback is generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.