Need some techi answers

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A good friend of mine just emailed me this:

I have a new Nokia C3 cell phone using Orange Dominicana service. It was ok the first night (15FEB11) to call area code 340 but now I cannot call the area code 340 which is the US Virgin Islands to either cell or landline. I can receive calls and receive/send text messages from 340. Starting on 16FEB11 I get a "Number not in use? error message when I try to make a voice call. I have another cell phone using VIVA (Dominican Republic) which does allow me to call 340. Orange does not help as they say it is a carrier problem. I have looked all over the internet but the only two solutions that were proposed is to put either + or 00 in front of the 1340xxxxxx but that does not work.

Any of you geeks out there know the "why" to this???

What to do? Take it back??? Throw it off the top of the Monument?
Stick it up the wazoo of the salesperson??? Answers please..

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Any of you geeks out there know the "why" to this???

What to do? Take it back??? Throw it off the top of the Monument?
Stick it up the wazoo of the salesperson??? Answers please..

HB
The entire cell network in the DR has had all sorts of problems the last couple of days until yesterday afternoon.

I couldn't make any calls on Orange, and Alida on Claro, on Tuesday morning through Wednesday afternoon.

I suspect that may be the problem, but who knows?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yeah, a backhoe apparently cut one of Claro optic fiber cables...they tried to downplay it but the internet and everything was so slooooow....

So maybe it has cleared up...I'll check with said friend.

HB

Feb 7, 2007
The "carrier route" has nothing to do with a cellphone model you use. Which means that regardless of what phone you would put the SIM card on, dialing the same destination number would present the same problem.

Having said that, not all user accounts are created equal with cellphone providers. E.g. Orange, the lowest of the ladder are prepaid accounts, then flex accounts, then max accounts, then business accounts. For example, on my Orange fleet phone I can dial US 800 numbers as 1800, 1888 etc., the same applied to when I used to have max account. But on another Orange flex account I had, I had to dial the same 1800 number as 1880 and 1888 as 1881, because if I dialed it the same way as on max account (1800) I would get a "invalid number" error. So there were two different routes and dialing patterns depending on the type of account involved.