Feedback on Santiago Schools

YDELMA123

Feb 8, 2006
Hello everyone. I have narrowed by selection of schools in Santiago and would appreciate any feedback or comments (both positive and negative) on the following schools.

Holy Trinity School, New Horizon and Saint David School.

Also if anyone knows of any other bilingual school not mentioned please advise. Thank you in advance for your responses.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I do hope La Teacher chimes in on this one. My vote goes to New Horizons, hands down.
Better discipline, better teachers.= Papa John's!!

Just like their "product" better...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
zNice money making operation. Moved to new place about a year or so ago. Out in the country.

Don't know much. Ask La Teacher...She's been there, done that and has the T-shirt.

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Haha HB, I was thinking the same thing. A "nice money making operation"
YDELMA PMed me and I gave her some info.
I'd go with New Horizons, too.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
high schools?

Santiago Christian School
By far, the best English education in Santiago.
My children are proof!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
You have to be an Evangelical Christian, sign a faith & behavior statement and have teacher certification in the States to work at SCS.

and on the record, American Schools are not necessarily better than other schools. SCS is filled with first year teachers and everyone in education knows the worst teacher you can get is a first year teacher. SCS has it's good points, but it also has some serious deficiencies.

I agree, though, they are pretty good compared to other "english" speaking schools.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Worse than first year teachers.

You have to be an Evangelical Christian, sign a faith & behavior statement and have teacher certification in the States to work at SCS.

and on the record, American Schools are not necessarily better than other schools. SCS is filled with first year teachers and everyone in education knows the worst teacher you can get is a first year teacher. SCS has it's good points, but it also has some serious deficiencies.

I agree, though, they are pretty good compared to other "english" speaking schools.

After experiencing my children in different schools in different countries, I think that tenured teachers and those with strong unions are the worst teachers by far. They know that they cannot be fired except for grievous behavior and act accordingly. Disinterested and protected, they shove the children through the system without little regard to the childrens' performance. Give me a interested first year teacher any day over a disinterested and privileged tenured teacher.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: ST. Davids. Turns out I know some of the people there... and they are hiring professional people. A nice English lady runs it...I hope she does it like a proper English public school!!!

I am supposed to speak there one of these days, so perhaps I can provide a better picture for you after that experience.

HB

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
HB, everyone I know who works there is trying to get out.
I think that the English lady has the best intentions and certainly has the know how, but has gotten the school into an awkward financial situation with their new build.

Because she is stressed to pay the loan, the educational value seems to be going out the window. And she pays her teachers less than most of the other bilingual schools and expects way more from them (as far as hours go).

good luck speaking there!