Teacher Qualifications

YDELMA123

Feb 8, 2006
Hello All,

What are the qualifications employers look for in teachers? Is it much like here in the states? Do teachers have to be certified or will a bachelor degree in the subject matter being taught suffice?

Thank you. SH

Last edited:

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hello All,

What are the qualifications employers look for in teachers? Is it much like here in the states? Do teachers have to be certified or will a bachelor degree in the subject matter being taught suffice?

Thank you. SH

My brother teaches in UTESA, he teaches the English courses. To teach in any (just about) University/College in DR your gonna need a Master's degree. Here in the states to teach a Community 2 year college you need a minimum of a Master's, for a 4 year and beyond college you need a Ph. D.

YDELMA123

Feb 8, 2006
Thanks for replying but I was referring to teaching at the middle and/or high school level.

Do you have any information that can help me at this position?

Thank you

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Thanks for replying but I was referring to teaching at the middle and/or high school level.

Do you have any information that can help me at this position?

Thank you

I know that a Bachelor's degree for High School and below should be fine. First what I would do is talk to people I know, friends and family, to see if they know anyone that already works as a teacher in one of these schools. Then I would inquire with them to see about working there.

Or you can call around each school and see if they are looking for teachers. I know alot of times the school I work for here in NY is looking for substitute teachers. Then, if they work out, we usually keep them on a part time basis, then eventually full time. Hope that helps.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Most of the schools that you would like to work in as a secondary teacher in the DR do require certification for most of their teachers since they are accredited by agencies like SACS and to keep accreditation need certified teachers.

Unfortunately you have missed the job fairs that many schools attend to hire their foreign-hire teachers. But if they weren't able to find a good match then perhaps you might luck out and fill a vacancy that way.

Get certified and then you can teach in private schools almost anywhere in the world and get the experiences of a lifetime to go along with your paycheck.

From personal experience I recommend that you use the hiring fairs from International School Services or the fair at UNI.

International Schools Services

Fair Registration Process

Good luck in your search.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
aND THAT FROM A woman who taught at Caroll Morgan and is now in the Persian Gulf teaching...quite the traveller...

HB