question about moving to DR.

annie66

Jan 24, 2011
Hi,
I was wondering, if you need to do anything about residency if you stay in Dominican for only 6 months?
I live in Canada now and want to escape our freezing cold winter. Is a visa needed to stay for that long? Or can we just come and rent somewhere to live for that long provided we have all of our Canadian documents.

thank you

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Hi Annie,
If you are only staying in DR for 6 months, then you may enter on your tourist card and then pay a 5 month overstay penalty when you are leaving the airport (as the tourist card is only valid for 30 days). I believe the 5 month over stay penalty is 1000 pesos.
Here is a list of tariffs for overstaying the tourist card:
B - IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA

VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA
CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE VIP
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -

http://www.migracion.gov.do/tarifas.html

annie66

Jan 24, 2011
Thank you for your quick reply, I was with you until the writing turned to Spanish....I"m going to check out the link you provided. Thank you again.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
The link just shows where I got the tariff information from. The stuff written in Spanish is just showing you the different fines for overstaying the tourist card. 30days-3 months is 800 pesos.... 3 months to 9 months is 1000 pesos.... and so on.

erhall

Jun 6, 2008
I stayed for over 12 years and did nothing but pay taxes when I left the country. That was when I was a kid, parents never bothered to get me my citizenship.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It's a bit of a stuck up comment if you ask me:ermm:. I know people who have lived in the Republic full time for 15 years and havent picked up the lingo yet. Not good, but as you say, not the end of the world. In fact in general the majority of peoples Spanish is crap if you take into length of time around it.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
It's a bit of a stuck up comment if you ask me:ermm:. I know people who have lived in the Republic full time for 15 years and havent picked up the lingo yet. Not good, but as you say, not the end of the world. In fact in general the majority of peoples Spanish is crap if you take into length of time around it.
Can't imagine it being much fun if you don't speak at least a little bit of Spanish?? What is the point of living in the DR if you cannot communicate with the people around you?.........everyday life must be quite challenging and frustrating..............:ermm::ermm:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Can't imagine it being much fun if you don't speak at least a little bit of Spanish?? What is the point of living in the DR if you cannot communicate with the people around you?.........everyday life must be quite challenging and frustrating..............:ermm::ermm:

I agree, and it is lazy of people not to learn to some extent. But to question a person visiting for a short period of time and not knowing the lingo is a little off. You learn as you go, who goes and studies a language before visiting a country. Part of the fun is picking it up in the perfect surroundings. No one is going to come a cropper because they can't communicate fully. Waving arms around and a quick dictionary gets you miles.

I think most speak a little but dont use as much as they have through embarrassment.
And remember it isn't everyday life if only for a short period, it is a vacation more or less.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

Which Republic???

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Which Republic???

A little anal retentive tonight! Not this one.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDL4K45v3aY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDL4K45v3aY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
A little anal retentive tonight! Not this one.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDL4K45v3aY?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NDL4K45v3aY?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Buddy, I don't know what to say. I watched that and got right into it. ****, I feel all wrong now, but that will be played and topics will be challenged over our roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner tomorrow. No doubt with it ending in a few shorts and my dad telling me how it used to be, when we ruled the world, god bless the old sod.
Fantastic, god bless!
That wS genuinely unique performance!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004

My parents moved from the DR to NYC in 1962, they didn't do it because they expected it to be "fun" because they weren't "tourists". My dad learned English and eventually opened his own business; no, not a bodega. My mother never learned English and didn't have a desire nor a need to. Today, he lives in Zona Colonial, speaks no English and my mother lives in a senior apartment complex in California and STILL speaks no English. I guess by your line of thinking they must have had a "quite challenging and frustrating life" Did they? I don't know.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
My parents moved from the DR to NYC in 1962, they didn't do it because they expected it to be "fun" because they weren't "tourists". My dad learned English and eventually opened his own business; no, not a bodega. My mother never learned English and didn't have a desire nor a need to. Today, he lives in Zona Colonial, speaks no English and my mother lives in a senior apartment complex in California and STILL speaks no English. I guess by your line of thinking they must have had a "quite challenging and frustrating life" Did they? I don't know.

Nice one. :pirate:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
for a short mover, 6 months mover,
no spanish required, come, have fun, and leave.

in case of long term expats, many of them are here in the PC area much longer than myself with my only 16 years,
many/most of them I hiddenly just smile on, because they will Never Learn spanish.
they think they speak the language but most never get it.

it's Normal, nothing bad.

but to at least Try to get some understanding should be the Norm

Mike

merrychristmas

Mar 26, 2012

what do they mean by "In fact in general the majority of peoples Spanish is crap if you take into length of time around it"? does it refer to the local people or the tourists learning spanish? I know in peru it would be true about many locals because i noticed they don't learn spanish well in the amazon even though spanish is their only language.