What criminal history could stop a DR work permit?

bhaight

Feb 18, 2011
Hello folks. I am new to here as I recently signed on to work in the DR for awhile. I am nervous about the criminal background check because I just recently applied to be a mentor and had to go through a stringent process after my fingerprints got flagged due to a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) conviction four years ago. I also have a juvenile record that has purportedly been sealed.
I have searched this forum, emailed and called several consulates and asked around to no avail. I feel that since my future employer didn't ask any questions about my history, it probably doesn't end up becoming a problem, but I am very anxious about it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and would make me much more happier as I think about this big change in my life. Thanks. B

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
A DUI will not effect you. If your juvenile record is over ten years old then it shouldn't effect you unless it was for drugs, then you could have some issues. But generally if you only have juvenile over ten years and it wasn't anything serious then you will be right.
What was it?

I am not a lawyer, this what my lawyer told me.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Dude, if you are not Haitian, you are not a target here.
Figueroa Agosto a lord Drug dealer was living here with not problems at all untill he started flashing his wealth.

Not to mention other criminals to go there with other intentions.

Dont hang out with Cueros and Tekatos neither take pictures of childrens
that will keep you away of trouble. The Question is will the usa allow you to leave with a record ? If yes then you are more than welcome to DR.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Are you even sure they are going to bother going down the official path if you are only here for a while. Loads of employers don't even bother with all that crap if it is only temporary short term employment.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
A DUI will not effect you. If your juvenile record is over ten years old then it shouldn't effect you unless it was for drugs, then you could have some issues. But generally if you only have juvenile over ten years and it wasn't anything serious then you will be right.
What was it?

I am not a lawyer, this what my lawyer told me.

I am not a lawyer either, but have some experience in employing expats. I will not go into the specifics of your case but this is my general experience.
There are a few layers to the answer.
1. If you apply for residency, which you should unless your stay here is going to be a short one, Migracion will check with Interpol and your application for residency will be dependent on the results of that check amongst others - medical factors and local guarantors being the other important issues.
2. Most serious local companies will require that you have residency, otherwise it is a hassle to employ you for tax, social security, insurance and other reasons.
3. Unless you have skills and experience that are not available in the DR population employers sometimes find it difficult to take on an expat for reason no. 2.
4. If you do have specific skills and or experience that are not available in the DR population your prospective employers may bend over backwards to "legalise" your status so that they can employ you officially and transparently.
5. You should talk this through with your prospective employer, without necessarily disclosing the delicate information in the first place, because if the above points are not taken into consideration it could be difficult and embarrassing for you both.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
US business or trading connections

One other point; if you are going to work here for a US company, or a company with US connections and/or trading with and/or providing services in certain industries to US institutions or businesses, your employers will be obliged to conduct an official background check, have you do medical and frequent drugs checks routinely amongst other investigative formalities. All this is now required, as I said in certain industries, by US regulatory bodies.

bhaight

Feb 18, 2011
Thank you guys for your feedback. I'm new to the forum side of the web, so I hope that this response comes up. I gather from your ideas that things should probably be pretty smooth. Most of my offenses are old and misdemeanors, so we will see. As we go on I might have to talk to my employers and let them know, but hopefully they won't be bothered too much by it. Thanks again guys. B