Exporting a vehicle OUT of DR

indapipe

Jan 14, 2011
Hi guys. This may sound like a weird question but does anyone have any experience or knowledge about exporting a vehicle out of the DR to another country, specifically Canada (or US and then driving to Canada)? Thanks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why would you do that? Vehicles here are worth more than about anywhere else.

It costs, at a minimum, about 40%+ over the cost of the vehicle to get it here. That $14,000 SUV is worth maybe $7-8000 elsewhere.

Unless it's a specialty vehicle with great sentimental value just sell it here and buy another one where you're going and you'd be $$$ ahead most likely.

Jerry Albers

Dec 12, 2010
Ya - not a good idea.. Youll lose money for sure. Sell it here... Its definitely worth more. and alot less headaches... Then buy one in miami and drive that car to canada. You have to give canadian customs you vin 4 days prior. and pay$187 to bring a new vehicle in. Not sure about hst and pst taxes. maybe 13% more max but i doubt it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have often thought of (a) winning the Lotto, and (b) taking my very old GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic to the states for a TOTAL remake...like you see on SPEED Channel...really, one of those "what if" sort of things.
What you do is file a report with Customs that you are taking the vehicle out of the country, so you can bring it back in...

That is what i would do if (a) and (b) were ever to happen....

But to ship it out ??? Unless it is one of those "classics" that are around, I don't make much sense...

Here's a Saturday morning, after coffee, thought: How would a Dominincan car feel on I-95? Ahhhhh...niiiice, mmmmmm.....jejeje

HB

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Hi guys. This may sound like a weird question but does anyone have any experience or knowledge about exporting a vehicle out of the DR to another country, specifically Canada (or US and then driving to Canada)? Thanks.

We exported a car to Europe. Lots of paper work but nothing out of the ordinary. The shipment fee was fair, well the time frame was crazy - the ship took the route exact opposite than they told so car arrived 1 week later than expected in Antwerp. LOL
- Was it worth? Yes!
- Would i do it again: Yes!
In Antwerp, a custom agent did all the paper work and called when we can pick up the car. LOL that cost more than the whole shipment over the ocean!

indapipe

Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for all of your replies. Since most of you asked why, it is because it is a vehicle that is very hard to find in North America: Land Rover Discovery 4 cylinder diesel. It is in great condition and I thought that I would be able to sell my current vehicle and not have anymore car payments saving almost $400/month as well as save every month on fuel costs because it is so economical. I fill up about once per month in DR.

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
I would be very surprised - given the extraordinarily high demand for SUVs in the DR - if the price premium (over 40%) plus the costs of shipping and import duties don't exceed the amortized costs of gas. I would do a quick capital budgeting exercise and determine that.

In any event, selling the car in the DR and financing an equivalent car in Canada should still be the dominating strategy taking into account low interest rates (cost of capital). I may be wrong, through, but I would still be quite surprised.

indapipe

Jan 14, 2011
I would be very surprised - given the extraordinarily high demand for SUVs in the DR - if the price premium (over 40%) plus the costs of shipping and import duties don't exceed the amortized costs of gas. I would do a quick capital budgeting exercise and determine that.

In any event, selling the car in the DR and financing an equivalent car in Canada should still be the dominating strategy taking into account low interest rates (cost of capital). I may be wrong, through, but I would still be quite surprised.
I appreciate very much your reply but I want to be clear that I am not buying a vehicle in DR. I currently OWN the vehicle in question and owe nothing on it. So if I understood your first point, there is no 40% price premium. Does that make sense or am I missing the point? Thanks for all of your insights.

Gordon Gekko

Nov 2, 2005
I appreciate very much your reply but I want to be clear that I am not buying a vehicle in DR. I currently OWN the vehicle in question and owe nothing on it. So if I understood your first point, there is no 40% price premium. Does that make sense or am I missing the point? Thanks for all of your insights.

My apologies if I wasn't very specific. What I mean to say is that you'd be better off by selling in the DR (at a presumably higher price) and buying in Canada, as all others before me have wisely advised.

The other verbose parts of my post just tried to get you to think about whether it really made sense to absorb all the costs of getting the car to Canada in order to save the spread between gasoline and diesel. My point is that, with all relevant costs and benefits taken into account, I highly doubt it.

I'd be happy to help you put together a simple capital budgeting model to make this decision.

Best,

Cris

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Assumimg you bought it in the DR it is most likely worth only 60% in Canada what it is worth in the DR.

GG's advice is solid.

The advice here has been all economics.However, if you just LIKE it and economics don't enter into it, then that's an entirely different story. Then you weren't seeking advice, you were seeking affirmation.

You may want to check and determine if that specific model will be allowed in Canada. Many vehicles in the DR aren't allowed in the US (emissions and safety equipment), and I'm sure Canada would be the same way.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
You may want to check and determine if that specific model will be allowed in Canada. Many vehicles in the DR aren't allowed in the US (emissions and safety equipment), and I'm sure Canada would be the same way.

cobraboy is correct...

If the vechicle wasn't manufactured in the US or abroad for specific sale in the US, it will NOT meet EPA/US Highway safety standards. You will have to post a large bond with US customs to allow offload in a US Port. Bond is returned when costly conversion to meet US standards is completed or the vechicle is immediately re-exported.

If the vechicle was manufactured for sale in the US, you will still require cerfication (EPA waiver) that the vechicle's emissions system (cat, O2 sensors, etc. were removed, prior to export from the US, to prevent contamination with non-US fuels (leaded gas).

Costly...

mike.s

Oct 1, 2008
TMNYC is right but not only about US standards, but the vehical has to meet Canadian standards before you can register it in Canada, which are different from american ei, day time running lights, Kilometer speedo and odometer, and as Rover never sold a diesel in Canada it would not meet Canadian pollution standards.There is a government website that lists what is required to upgrade specific vehicles being imported from the US. Costs very from 0$ to 30,000, dollars to not feasable

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have read Gordon and Cobra and they make sense.
The only reasonable option is one that I sort of hinted at in a previous post: I love my GMC, you LOVE the Land Rover diesel.

However, it is worth a LOT more here in the DR than it is in Canada.
THese gentlemen have also raised some very interesting points: Can you even drive it in Canada or the US>>>??? What would the conversion cost be at the local Land Rover Dealer?>

Sum total: Not a good play from the economic stand point. Emotional issues aside, there is little or NO upside to the deal.

Sell it and use the money to buy something in Canada...

HB

indapipe

Jan 14, 2011
whether it really made sense to absorb all the costs of getting the car to Canada in order to save the spread between gasoline and diesel.
Regarding the above point, my thinking was not saving only fuel but car payments. For example, I thought that if it cost, let's say $3000 to bring it to Canada, but I'm saving $500 dollars per month between fuel savings and no more car payment, then the venture pays for itself in 6 months. I thought that would make it worthwhile. However, I appreciate all of the input. You have all brought up excellent points that I was wondering about but did not know. Hillbilly is correct on the emotional point: I LOVE my Rover. But it does not seem to be worth the effort involved. Thanks to all.

Jan 9, 2004
The only way it would seem...

Regarding the above point, my thinking was not saving only fuel but car payments. For example, I thought that if it cost, let's say $3000 to bring it to Canada, but I'm saving $500 dollars per month between fuel savings and no more car payment, then the venture pays for itself in 6 months. I thought that would make it worthwhile. However, I appreciate all of the input. You have all brought up excellent points that I was wondering about but did not know. Hillbilly is correct on the emotional point: I LOVE my Rover. But it does not seem to be worth the effort involved. Thanks to all.

to be worth the effort to you now, is if the vehicle was manufactured in Canada and thus would have been manufactured to Canadian specs and thus only inspection compliance costs, not conversion, would be necessary.

The quick way to tell is by the VIN#, usually located in the lower left corner of the windshield. If the first digit is a 2, its Canadian. If not it was manufactured elsewhere.

I understand your reasoning for wanting it to go with you, but I concur with the prior posters, sell it in the D.R. and buy a nice turbo diesel in Canada.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2